Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've read the stickies on headlight replacement/mods, etc. And I'm a little confused.

I have stock lights now. I like/want the Halo's/angel eyes.

Questions:
1. In order to get the Halos, do I need to buy the whole light assembly (like those from carid.com, etc) that are projectors?

2. If I get projectors, can I use either HID bulbs or Halogen, or does it come with it's own type of bulb?

Or,
3. Can I just add Halos to my existing stock lights?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You can just add halo's to your stock lights. You can also buy other style headlights with them already installed with or without HID's.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Well, I dont know if I said that specifically but it is cheaper. Personally I dont like the look of the stock headlight so I bought the Gen 4 headlights with projectors. Much better IMO.

You should be able to find halos for your cobalt via Ebay, this will require wiring. I'm a PnP guy so I just bought it complete and done! BuyHIDs is another great resource if you want retro fit kits or complete headlights.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Light output is better with retros because the projectors are generally better then the cheaper projectors that are out there. Though with time you can aim the projectors to give good light output. I had 1st and 2nd gen projectors on my cobalts and they were alright, never got retro's due to what I think is a ridiculously price at the time. Sometimes you can find a good deal but doing them yourself is cheaper but if not done right you get leaking and fogging of the lense.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^word. I bought mine off another member a while back, but they came from Buy HID's as I understand.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blackbalts, did you get your gen 4's from buyHIDs? Are you satisfied with them?
I would rather do PnP also.

Did you guys use HID or Halogen?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
See response above for your first question. I prefer HID's now that I have them. Way better light output and when you drive through snow you dont get the hyper space look that you do with halogen bulbs. Also, doesn't hurt that they look bad ass!

·
Registered
583 Posts
IMO any headlight that is NOT the stock are better is just matter or what style you really like, here they always ganna tell you "You get what you pay for"...there are some really cheap headlights out there but usually you end up paying more because they aren't PnP or harnes is not wired correctly etc etc... And HID vs Regulat bulbs....well HIDs are brighter, nicer, better, good looking lol!!!....

If you have experience on wiring and modifying yourself you can always make your own, I saw this guy on Intagram who installed the halos from the Camaro into the stock Cobalt headlights....AWESOME!!!'

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

not the greatest ones i had, just sitting in my photobucket. i can go take more if you want.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Stock housings are pretty good imo, when I put my stocks back on my SS after having the 2nd gens, it was night and day to put it lol. I spent various times when I had the 2nd gens trying to aim and get the output right but could never get it and driving at night I had to concentrate really hard because I could not see far enough compared to stock. My foglights were pretty much doing a better job. Though I'll admit I loved my 2nd gens because it gave the car a great look. I have heard the 4th gens give the best output, maybe the 3rd gens too but its been too long. But if you can go retro route its a great option and makes the stocks look like crap.

·
Registered
803 Posts
true statement by Chris there, i did have to struggle with aiming them but i did get them to where i like it and i can see.

i want to save for retros thats why i would sell these, although i do love the way they look.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.