Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 08 cobalt ls sedan with a 2.2l. i would like to know what kind of muffler can i use to give more of a sporty tone. i don't want one that is ridiculously loud though. do those mufflers with the removable silencers work? how loud are they. id like to get one so i don't have to hear it while driving on trips and highway only when accelerating. any suggestions. thanx

·
Registered
257 Posts
it's usually the import mufflers that come w/ silencers but i would have to say go w/ magnaflow or borla mufflers. it would be good you to call or email the companies to see which model best suits you. They'll know more or less...your prolly going to hear a bunch of companies called out for you to get but it's important you also look at the different models those companies offer. Some are God awful loud and some are close to stock but a lil louder. Do your research not only on the company but on the model too. if you can get one you can but a tail pipe on that way it doesn't look like a fart can hanging out the end.

Happy Hunting....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
you know i like the tune of stock but i wish it had some more volume. I hate to say it but i want more ricey tone, like almost a crackle sound, best i could think to describe it. I heard exactly what i want on a scion today, once they hit like 4k rpm it was perfect. I just heard the "ebay" mufflers with the silencers and they're not tooo bad but definitely an aggressive tone, they were on a v6 199* accord, dual exhaust brand new. Another way to describe what I want is like a buzzy sound...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Whatever you do don't get a can with a silencer. All the silencer does is vibrate in the the exhaust and make it sound like shit. If you can stop it from vibrating though it doesnt sound too bad. But I agree with Alpha, go Magnaflow or Borla. If you go with Magnaflow they use the 5x8x18 on the cat back package.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
but i dont want to do a whole exhaust... It all comes down to $$$. I just dont have it right now. so is there any like bolt on muffler that could give me that tune???

Snake890217 added 2 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

the other tune i like is like an infinity's exhaust.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
but i dont want to do a whole exhaust... It all comes down to $$$. I just dont have it right now. so is there any like bolt on muffler that could give me that tune???

Snake890217 added 2 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

the other tune i like is like an infinity's exhaust.
well, for bolt on tuner exhaust, you could always cherry bomb it, lol

FTR: every cobalt that has come into my shop has gotten a cherry bomb in it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've got a custom cat back with a raceland muffler. it gives a great deep tone. Got the idea from nugz he has the same muffler but not the same piping as mine and he has a clip on youtube if you want to hear it. just type in "2.2 cobalt exhaust" and it's a blue car. I think you'll like it. no need for a silencer or anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have heard many good things about maganaflow mufflers and i think thats what im gonna go with. any suggestions on what type i should get though? are there certain models that aren't as loud as others? what size would i need?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
the basic magnaflow isnt quite as loud as some of the upper models.i know this cause we deal exclusively in magnaflow muffs

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by basic which one do u mean? i was just gonna get either a 4 inch round one with a tip or an oval one. im not sure what the difference would be though. would there be a sound difference?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
yes, there will be a sound difference. If you want a tuner(rice) sounding muffler, get the round muffler, less space for the exhaust gases to fill, thus it resonates more, creating the sound most commonly matched to hondas. Get the oval mufler if you want the deeper, more muscle car(V-8 ) sound. Being a 4 cyl. you will never fully get away from the tuner's notorious high pitched note, but with the oval, it tones it down to a respectable level, and a nice sound.

When i say basic, i mean not the polished chrome ones, just the generic magnaflow most muffler shops carry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You would most definitely get pulled over for the round one for volume. I had a Megan Racing muffler on a custom cat back system and it was really loud. Hell I got pulled over on Interstate, not even in the city. But, I cut that off and put in a 5x8 magnaflow and it sounds really good without being to loud.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
now with less room for the gasses will we be getting pulled over for volume then too?
you can keep the round on the factory system, and there wont be a problem

·
Banned
384 Posts
get the flowmaster 44

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
k thanx cobaltkrazy. u've been a huge help. now i know what type to look for cause before i really had no idea what to look for.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
get the flowmaster 44
if you have it, then kudos to you, but not suggested for a simple mufler swap.

k thanx cobaltkrazy. u've been a huge help. now i know what type to look for cause before i really had no idea what to look for.
Yeah he is a good help. You should look around, most of my posts have been answered by him. I keep him on his toes...
Thanks guys. I have been trying to go mod for awhile, but nope. Keep me on your buddy list, and message me when you need help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.