Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Names Josh. I've noticed there are a lot of new users on here. I new to aftermarket maintenance (to an extent, i work on helicopters), and joined to find info on products and techniques for adding some modifications to my Cobalt.
I have an 09 LS Sedan 2.2 LAP with a 5 spd MT. It's as base as it gets, except I have A/C. I so far have had only had the windows tinted and I've done a few oil changes.
My first question is about exhausts, as of now I have an extremely annoying leak somewhere on the flex pipe area of the downpipe/catalytic converter. I want to go ahead and get a full exhaust from the bolt on end the headers. Is that header back or cat-back? I do not want a loud obnoxious exhaust but would like an aftermarket one. I drive about 2 hours a day so it could get annoying.
Secondly I have a OBDII code P0011 A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance. What should I do to remedy this?
After I fix those two problems I plan on adding a few things I've noticed on the forum such as the shorty antenna, some shadowed tail lights, mrz door sills, debadging and all that cheap easy jazz. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for me.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Start by clearing that code and seeing if it comes back. How loud is your exhaust leak? That can affect one of the knock sensors which may be why your timing is off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The leak is pretty loud and I've located exactly where it is.. It's on the top side of the flexing part of the downpipe. I have cleared the code before and I also got it before the leak started. I haven't really noticed any abnormal idle or missing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome to the site :)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Welcome! If you're looking to replace your exhaust with aftermarket but want it "quiet", that all depends on your views on quiet. As far as what kind to get, you will more than likely need a header back or full exhaust because of where your leak is. As far as the code, clear it again, and if it comes back on again, I would say you may have a cam sensor going bad.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Cam sensors go bad on these cars all the time. I had both of mine replaced on warranty. I have the same model car you have except in a coupe. 09 base model. Check out my show off thread in my sig if you want ideas or inspiration on what kind of stuff you can get for your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Cobalt has an exhaust/Catalytic converter Warranty up to 80,000 miles. I had this problem with my 06. The flex part of the downpipe was broken. Brought it to the dealer and had them replace it..

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
gmpp exhausts are pretty quiet compared to most. You'll pay for it though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.