Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great, did you just cut down the original one and add that ball on top?
Yea I cut the original antenna and I saw in a DIY someone did. They had to pull the little ball on the top and it comes off. Then I had to make the top of the short antenna smaller so that it would go inside the ball. Here is the DIY that has pics and would probably give you better info than mine.
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/install-guides-diy/18269-how-make-short-antenna.html
Looks a lot better! How is reception?
Reception went down a little bit, but only when I was around a lot of trees. Maybe a little static here or there. Overall not bad at all. I'm sure it would sound normal when I go in the city since I'd be near the radio stations.

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
yeah, I have the shorty antenna and the reception sucks, thank goodness for iPods.

·
Registered
236 Posts
looks good! i did the same thing with my cars antenna except i topped it off with a vacuum cap rather than try to put that ball back on. i can drive up to two hours in any direction and still get pretty good reception from the stations back home :amuse:

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
looks good! i did the same thing with my cars antenna except i topped it off with a vacuum cap rather than try to put that ball back on. i can drive up to two hours in any direction and still get pretty good reception from the stations back home :amuse:
Agreed, I cut mine down to 6 inches and put the ball back on. I notice no difference in reception.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I also have a cut stock antenna and where i live in the country, its hard enough as it is to get stations in the balt, now the reception is worse and i struggle to get only a couple stations i like. I will probably soon be switching to a shorty style antenna soon so i can listen to the radio more often

·
Registered
498 Posts
A cut antenna will be a definite drop in reception because you are changing the wave form that it can receive. A shorty antenna resolves this by doubling up inside or something so it's supposed to be just as good reception but in a smaller package. I have the shorty antenna and it is not as good as the OEM antenna for reception but a lot better than a cut antenna - and it looks better!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.