Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok bought a used ARK shorty antenna but my old one is being very stubborn any ideas or suggestions before I break something.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ok bought a used ARK shorty antenna but my old one is being very stubborn any ideas or suggestions before I break something.
Did you try putting a towel around the base of it and use a pair of pliers to get it off. Thats how I got my stock antenna off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
you bought the whole assembly or just the screw in antenna part? if you bought just the top piece it just screws in maybe got some rust in there nothing a pair of vice grips can't fix :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
there is a flat place on the antenna where to put the vise grips or pliers definitely use a towel so you dont damage the antenna and when you put the ark one back on i suggest using some loctite so that no one can just unscrew it and steal it. i used red loctite it will probably never come off =)

·
Registered
142 Posts
there is a flat place on the antenna where to put the vise grips or pliers definitely use a towel so you dont damage the antenna and when you put the ark one back on i suggest using some loctite so that no one can just unscrew it and steal it. i used red loctite it will probably never come off =)

i need to go that always find myself tightening it, it comes loose note to self invest in lock tite lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the vice grips it was just spinning in place I may have broke something gonna try the towel trick but its on there pretty dang good. Ive taken my antenna off before Its prob rust and now its dark so Ill try again in the morning.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Did the vice grips it was just spinning in place I may have broke something gonna try the towel trick but its on there pretty dang good. Ive taken my antenna off before Its prob rust and now its dark so Ill try again in the morning.
Try going on the inside of the trunk and see if you can grab the antenna from the base and then turn the antenna from the outside.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i need to go that always find myself tightening it, it comes loose note to self invest in lock tite lol
yeah i did too and plus i was gonna let someone steal it after i spent the money and ordered it off online haha

yeah there is the potential you might have broken something so definitely try the towel trick and vise grips if that dont work try and find the bottom of it thru the trunk.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I didn't even think about the locktite. I have the ARK shorty antenna, and I take mine off every night because there are a lot of bad a** where I live and they like to f*** with stuff.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
o yeah i used some the loctite red it will never come off EVER hahah definitely try it give it some time to set but after like 24 hours your good to go

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
this happened to me, theres a thread on it. But to make a long story short, i spent about an hour trying to get it off and it wound up breaking off. I tried everything, turns out the antenna was like welded to the housing somehow. IDN. But i would recommend taking it to the dealer so if it breaks they'll replace it.

Just tell them you want to take ur car to a car wash but the antenna wont come off.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Mine's being stupid like that too... the WHOLE assembly turns, not just the antenna when you try to take it off, right? I tried grabbing it from the inside, but that never worked... so i gave up. Ive taken my antenna off before but i guess now its just rusted or whatever & i broke something down inside the trunk. I bought my shorty antenna months ago, and just found it yesterday...i thought about sellin it, but instead i put it on my sister's s10 xtreme, lol... thank God my stocker is already cut tho, lol... good luck!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
if you have someone who who is a friend with a garage go there they will figure it out real quick
its rusted on, nothing to figure out. You gotta break it off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK didnt break it off, but i finally got it removed since the antenna piece broke off the bracket I just pulled it out of the car got the antenna off and popped it back in but guess what the used ark antenna I got is so cross threaded and stripped out it wont even screw on at all I even took the time and a brillo pad to get all the rust off. PISSED is an understatement.

·
Registered
455 Posts
^^^^^x2 i love mine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.