Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, there just has to be a way to fix holes.

I mean, I can fix my spoiler holes by getting a new trunk lid, but I also want to fix the antenna hole and trunk keyhole.

And if I'm gonna fix the trunk keyhole, why not the spoiler holes?

If there's any hope, that is.

Is there?

I have all the time in the world to get it right, if time is the key ingredient.

Can I do it myself, at least get things to the point that they're ready for paint?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
The only way to do it the right way is sand it down to bare metal. weld in a filler piece and repaint. That is flat out the only correct way to do it. If you wanna rig job something there are all kinds of ideas you can use.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
What blazer said, Just weld a piece in there and touch it up with body filler, thats the right way to do it.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About welding, someone mentioned it can warp the panel. Is there a lower temp thing I can do that will introduce less distortion, maybe brazing or silver solder or something? Or can I just score a cheap fluxed-wire MIG welder at Harbor Freight and go to town?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Pull a nail through the hole, weld it in, cut the end off with a grinder, grind smooth, bondo to smooth, sand, then primer/paint.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

About welding, someone mentioned it can warp the panel. Is there a lower temp thing I can do that will introduce less distortion, maybe brazing or silver solder or something? Or can I just score a cheap fluxed-wire MIG welder at Harbor Freight and go to town?
You don't need to weld long enough to warp anything. It is always best to just let the body shop do it though if you're not that experienced.

If you do decide to DIY the welding process, don't just rent a welder and jump onto the car immedately... do a good amount of practice welds on some junk piece of steel until you get a feel for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
as far as the keyhole left over you could always go techie on it and place a rear view camera in there instead, and use it as your back up camera..

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
yep you can warp metal real bad with a welder if you don't know what you're doing. gotta go slow and do little tack welds and let it cool down in between welds. you can't just jump in and go to town, you'll mess it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.