Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know if i can put any of the garrett turbo kits on my 2006 Lt automatic cobalt. If so which kit would you preffer?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
They make a kit but you wont be able to tune it. 1 company makes a turbo kit complete with tune but I dont remember who. My main forum has all the info but its been having fits lately, crashing and such.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could i put a supercharger on a 2.2L, 06 cobalt auto, since there is not a turbo kit for it and if so could you send me a link to a page because i have yet to find a supercharger for sale for my car

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe the reason the Turbo kits dont list auto's isnt because of the extra power but because there isnt enough room for the kit to fit(the manual trans is significantly smaller than the auto) To my knowledge there arent any SC kits for the "Balt. you could just install an LSJ setup but youd have to find a way to tune since you cant just swap ECM's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They make a kit but you wont be able to tune it. 1 company makes a turbo kit complete with tune but I dont remember who. My main forum has all the info but its been having fits lately, crashing and such.
there has been tuning through standalones for a long time now. aem, smt-6 both work. there are people that have been using f/i on a 2.2 for a long time. people just don't research, and since one company (hp tuners) hasn't released tuning they think there's no option.

I believe the reason the Turbo kits dont list auto's isnt because of the extra power but because there isnt enough room for the kit to fit(the manual trans is significantly smaller than the auto) To my knowledge there arent any SC kits for the "Balt. you could just install an LSJ setup but youd have to find a way to tune since you cant just swap ECM's.
it's not because of the power. the auto tranny in the base models is FAR stronger than the manual trannies.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yea... iwould get the AEM one if i were to run the forced induction route

·
Registered
135 Posts
there has been tuning through standalones for a long time now. aem, smt-6 both work. there are people that have been using f/i on a 2.2 for a long time. people just don't research, and since one company (hp tuners) hasn't released tuning they think there's no option.

Yes there are stand alones and yes they work however last I looked they cause codes in the ECM. If I'm mistaken then by all means correct me. Living in a state that requires emissions testing means you need to have 0 codes in the ECM in order to pass. Hell if the stand alones do work without causing codes I'll buy it now and get my garret kit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes there are stand alones and yes they work however last I looked they cause codes in the ECM. If I'm mistaken then by all means correct me. Living in a state that requires emissions testing means you need to have 0 codes in the ECM in order to pass. Hell if the stand alones do work without causing codes I'll buy it now and get my garret kit.
yea, they work no problem, but can't confirm about the codes. there's a few people on ss.net running supers and turbos, when the sites back up i would check them out and see what they have to say. they would know more than i would about it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's totally wrong to say there i NO TUNING! I'm getting tired of this honestly lol. AEm makes the FI and Megasquirt is always and option. How do u think people tune the sunfires and cavys with SCs or Turbos? yes they have HP but there are some who run other units such AEM or Megasquirt. The OBD-II computer CAN be tuned.

gibsonj4 added 1 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

they usually throw codes because of the O2 sensor sensing the increased exaust gases making the computer think it's running lean. this can be fixed using O2 clamping. Go to the AEM site and read about this under electronic performance forum.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So would this mean taht a turbo is no bueno for the 2.2 auto?

Im all clear with the tuning issues, but im with everyone else when it comes to the whole transmission deal. Curse my Auto!

·
Registered
162 Posts
But like a few of the kits have on them, the hahn kit for example. When it lists the 2.2, it doesnt have the auto listed as possible transmissions. Is the auto to big for the kit like said before?

·
Registered
768 Posts
That's just the alpha kit It comes with tuning that won't work on the auto's. I'm not sure what you mean by too big. I plan on making my own kit since this kit has the wastegate in the turbo. I want something a little more costumizable

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, the reason 99% of kits that state they arent compatible with the auto is that that transmission takes up too much room in the engine compartment(the 4T45e is much BIGGER than the F23-5), all the kit plumbing is based on a manual trans which has more room for things to around, alongside, and down the back of the engine. You can use a kit for th M5 in your car with an A4, but you'll likely need to get creative with the plumbing, thats all.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's just the alpha kit It comes with tuning that won't work on the auto's. I'm not sure what you mean by too big. I plan on making my own kit since this kit has the wastegate in the turbo. I want something a little more costumizable
Why wouldn't u just buy the kit and use the internally wastegated turbo for a while and see how it fits the car? if you want more power or are afraid of problems such as the wastegate staying closed or malfunctioning, you can always purchase a different turbo, sell the "disco potato" on ebay, and tune for the new one. The transmission is too big on our cars for the autos to turbo with the garrett kit. I've only looked at one other cobalts engine other than an SS but it looked cramped where the intercooler piping would run.

Just remember custom jobs have custom problems.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.