Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips on tinting the taillights on a cobalt coupe?

I plan on using actual film. I already have it in fact.

Im starting to think it could get tricky because the two lights on the actual trunk have that part of the light that sticks out from the rest. Anyone get what im trying to say?haha

But any tips would be great!

·
Registered
709 Posts
now what about tinting your own windows masterz.. any advice on that
My car had tinted windows already when I bought it. So I can't really give any tips on this sorry :/ It seems to be same process as tinting tail light with film to be honest with you.

For the lights, I bought the matte film here: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

You can also look at the video in the auction description for a How-To.

Side note: from my experience, you will need to take off your lights. It will make your job a lot easier.

·
Registered
183 Posts
yeah Like i said before, i want to to it but am kinda scared. I think Ill end up doing one window at a time myself, taking the window out possibly to make it easier.

lights i think i might spray a light coat of nightshade.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

btw those r cheap.. the strip of tint

i also need to figure out a colour to paint my interior trim, doors and the shiny chrome part that chips and cuts you when you open door. .

·
Registered
27 Posts
i think the spray is easier. i did it on my old car. just taped off the lights. if i ever do it again i will probably take the lights off next time.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I hung them from the ceiling in my garage with fish line and sprayed em. Looked great but got pulled over too many times. Just got new aftermarket for $100 and I'm still a bit bitter, I miss the all black back!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thinking about tinting my tail lights but windows came tinted and they are definately dark enough for me .. I would definately recommend taking them off the car though.. Saves all the taping and masking..

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
and possible room for error and hitting the car!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got my windows tinted with 15% i let a professional do it he charged only $180 to do all 5 windows even did the rear one in one piece

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum. I'm an NJ guy and, at this point, I'm at a loss. I stopped today to ask a local officer what is and isn't legal as I tend to stay in Toms River, where I live, and do not travel much. After asking him about window, head light, tacker, and tail light tint, all he could tell me was "windows for sure, and headlights yes, but the rest? I guess it just depends how I'm feeling that day." I was wondering, more or less, if I buy aftermarket tinted tails and trackers, would I still get messed with? ( and again, I'm new. I appologize if this is in the wrong area!)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum. I'm an NJ guy and, at this point, I'm at a loss. I stopped today to ask a local officer what is and isn't legal as I tend to stay in Toms River, where I live, and do not travel much. After asking him about window, head light, tacker, and tail light tint, all he could tell me was "windows for sure, and headlights yes, but the rest? I guess it just depends how I'm feeling that day." I was wondering, more or less, if I buy aftermarket tinted tails and trackers, would I still get messed with? ( and again, I'm new. I appologize if this is in the wrong area!)
It all depends on your location. I've been followed by many police here and they never said a thing about my exaust, tinted tailights and tinted window. But some here on the forum had problem with them so it's all about how police act against mods in your area.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Don't know if OP has done it already, but I REALLY don't recommend using film to tint your taillights. With how sharp the corner is, I'm yet to see if be done without creases. Just use nightshade. You can use tint on your headlights though (mine are tinted)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Don't know if OP has done it already, but I REALLY don't recommend using film to tint your taillights. With how sharp the corner is, I'm yet to see if be done without creases. Just use nightshade. You can use tint on your headlights though (mine are tinted)
I did it with black matte film and it looks amazing. You just have to be carefull with the heat gun and not heating too much the film.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I have had my fair share of run-in with the law in regards to head and tail lights. google taillight cover (your state) to find the statute that discribes what you can and cannot do. Some cops are dicks and over step their boundries, you need to know the law if you are going to do this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.