Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a small problem. I have sportlines (love them) and a steep driveway.

I can't go down my driveway anymore cause my exhaust scrapes. Its the resonator or the other muffler thing I'm sure but does anyone have any ideas to fix the problem?

We're going to get the driveway worked on at some point cause my dads corvettes scrape but until then I was wondering if i could raise the exhaust or something.

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Really cant raise the exhaust without some work and it gets the heat closer to the car. One of the downfalls to body kits and lowered vehicles: you cant drive them to many places. There are many stores where I live that I have to drive another vehicle to because my front bumper scrapes the entrance/exit. My Cobalt is stock height just aftermarket front bumper. My body shop guy thought he was almost goiung to have to put the car on his wrecker and take me to a different location to get it away from his shop due to the angle of his drive and the clearance between the ground and car.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
you can try hose clamps over the stock hangers. thats what im gonna try. might get another half inch or so. on sportlines a half inch could really help. or you could delete the resonator, but im not even thinking about that lol. if you come up with anything else let me know, im in the same boat!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard that hose clamps idea on css but i'm not sure exactly how I would do that?

half an inch is probably more than enough too so that'd be perfect

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
im not sure what the size of the rubber hanger is. but id get a couple of hose clamps that are like 1/2" bigger. and wrap the rubber one with it and tighten away. thats my plan anyway. im going to get a few different sizes so i only have to jack the car up once!
and yeah, 1/2" seems HUGE with sportlines.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Angles are your best friend when lowered!
yes indeed. im in the process of learning how to drive again.:laugh:
would still like some more height on my resonator. i always used to make fun of people that had to slow down and angle across bumps. now im one of them.:bigsmile: hypocrite. lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i have the sportlines also the resinator om my gmpp cat back was bottoming out on all kinds of crap took it to exhaust shop they did some tweeking on it i gained about a inch and a half good to go (love them sportlines)

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
i have the sportlines also the resinator om my gmpp cat back was bottoming out on all kinds of crap took it to exhaust shop they did some tweeking on it i gained about a inch and a half good to go (love them sportlines)
did they cut and weld the stock hangers? i just wanted to try and keep it cheap. what did it cost ya if you dont mind?

·
Registered
610 Posts
if thats 1-1/2 inc. closer to the car idk if thats really a good thing, but if the exhaust shop did then i guess its ok. it just seems like the heat from the exhaust is a lot closer to the car then intended to be.

·
Registered
610 Posts
im not a scientist, but any good aftermarket exhaust is going to be made out of T304 stainless steel. which im pretty sure keeps cooler. i dont think it would make much of a difference.
you're probably right. at the time it just didnt read right to me :bigsmile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.