·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
595 Posts
I’ve been looking at those since they came out. The company says don’t install HIDs in them, and I doubt led bulbs will focus well in those projector. I would probably buy them and retrofit a nice bi-xenon or led projector in there. I think my leds I have currently are a brighter than those. Who know though, HIDs might actually work great in them. So far I haven’t seen anyone with pics or a video of them with HIDs. So I’m not too interested. If I could find the old Depo projector I’d snatch those up real quick. But they appear to be discontinued. And nothing yet has come close to those.

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve been looking at those since they came out. The company says don’t install HIDs in them, and I doubt led bulbs will focus well in those projector. I would probably buy them and retrofit a nice bi-xenon or led projector in there. I think my leds I have currently are a brighter than those. Who know though, HIDs might actually work great in them. So far I haven’t seen anyone with pics or a video of them with HIDs. So I’m not too interested. If I could find the old Depo projector I’d snatch those up real quick. But they appear to be discontinued. And nothing yet has come close to those.
My stock housings where really bad, so I switched to led bulbs and it helped a bit but my high beams were still not the best, hoping these work well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you’re curious, I have the Hikari Ultra bulbs. Previously used their cheaper line which were ok, but only last about a year and a half. The high beam is quite good on the Ultra for a 9007 too. I’ve used a lot of different lights the past 18 years and these are brighter than my old 35 watt A/C HIDs.

I really wouldn’t mind those projectors. Actually I’d prefer projectors if they’re brighter than what I’m currently using. I just wonder how these particular units compare to the old Depo lights. The Depos looked like something that would come stock in design. I’m not sure why they were discontinued since they were one of the best ones made. As far as highest quality.

So did you end up buying those? Post some pictures if you get them. I’ve seen some similarly made for the 3rd Gen Cadillac Escalade. They looked really nice but I never did find out what company made them. It was on my customers vehicle who owns a body shop. He said they came with the HIDs. Not sure if they are like the stock setup or a retrofit HID. Like maybe he added them. I had seen them about two weeks ago.

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you’re curious, I have the Hikari Ultra bulbs. Previously used their cheaper line which were ok, but only last about a year and a half. The high beam is quite good on the Ultra for a 9007 too. I’ve used a lot of different lights the past 18 years and these are brighter than my old 35 watt A/C HIDs.

I really wouldn’t mind those projectors. Actually I’d prefer projectors if they’re brighter than what I’m currently using. I just wonder how these particular units compare to the old Depo lights. The Depos looked like something that would come stock in design. I’m not sure why they were discontinued since they were one of the best ones made. As far as highest quality.

So did you end up buying those? Post some pictures if you get them. I’ve seen some similarly made for the 3rd Gen Cadillac Escalade. They looked really nice but I never did find out what company made them. It was on my customers vehicle who owns a body shop. He said they came with the HIDs. Not sure if they are like the stock setup or a retrofit HID. Like maybe he added them. I had seen them about two weeks ago.
I hope they are bright, the stock headlights are pretty terrible and I drive a dark windy road to work every day so it would be nice.

I did end up buying them, and they should be in tomorrow. Just gonna have to find time to install them and I will post pictures

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don’t know if you’ve purchased the headlamps yet. I’m not sure how many manufacturers are making this same assembly. But I’d say about 90% of the reviews I’ve read are saying they are getting moisture leaking in. It’s kind of weird that almost every reviews was complaining about it. But I’ve seen the same issue with other cheap Chinese headlamps.

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don’t know if you’ve purchased the headlamps yet. I’m not sure how many manufacturers are making this same assembly. But I’d say about 90% of the reviews I’ve read are saying they are getting moisture leaking in. It’s kind of weird that almost every reviews was complaining about it. But I’ve seen the same issue with other cheap Chinese headlamps.
Yeah they finally came in, and yeah they do have some moisture leaking. I’m going to see if I can’t just seal it with super glue or something similar.

Other than that they work great and I will share pics when I get off work

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
You should be able to seal it with clear silicone pretty easily.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I wonder if they still have the little breather hole on top. You should be able to see it when you open the hood on top of the headlight housing. I have a TYC headlight on my driver side and it was getting moisture through the breather. Looked like some kind of mesh tape is used to seal the hole. I took that off and put clear packing tape over it and cut the tape clean around the hole so it doesn’t look out of place. It hasn’t leaked since. Been about a year and a half or more.

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
Those look good! What does the light output pattern look like on a wall?

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
Will be interested to see a picture of them. Obviously left should be lower because then it's not blinding oncoming, but the cutoff should have that built in as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had thought about getting the SS bumper for the fog lights also. But my bumper has removable filler pieces that can be changed out for fog light trim. I’ve seen very few cars with them. But makes for an easy installation. I think in total if I get the CAPA fog lights and regular trim pieces, it’s going to be about $80. Then I’ll just have to wire them in. There are cheaper fog lights though, some pairs I’ve seen are about $35, but I’m worried they’ll be poor quality. Either bad fitment or poor beam pattern.

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
I've never figured out what lead to some cars having those and others not. My now-wife had an '07 LT, and I have an '07 LT...hers had the body colored molded-in lower grilles, whereas I have the removeable plastic pieces.

No interest in putting the fogs in as I don't really like how they look on these bumpers, but also because my cone filter is right behind the LH grille, so that's perfect for flow.

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will be interested to see a picture of them. Obviously left should be lower because then it's not blinding oncoming, but the cutoff should have that built in as well.
I had thought about getting the SS bumper for the fog lights also. But my bumper has removable filler pieces that can be changed out for fog light trim. I’ve seen very few cars with them. But makes for an easy installation. I think in total if I get the CAPA fog lights and regular trim pieces, it’s going to be about $80. Then I’ll just have to wire them in. There are cheaper fog lights though, some pairs I’ve seen are about $35, but I’m worried they’ll be poor quality. Either bad fitment or poor beam pattern.
yeah mine doesn’t have the removable ones, and I personally don’t like the looks of them that much

1 - 20 of 26 Posts