Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my jeep may 10 years old and shabby, but it's still my baby and favorite toy. It's no garage queen either- I take it rock crawling/trail riding every few months. There are a lot of bigger, badder Jeeps out there, but this one is built just the way I want it and it is a happy medium between on-road handling and offroad ability.

2003 Wrangler Rubicon (a REAL Rubicon, not just poser stickers) Lovingly known as "Mr. Toad"

when I got it 2 years ago: worn out tires, 2 inch budget boost (coil spacers), no-name winch, beat up aftermarket fender flares, and some funky aftermarket rims. Was towed behind a motorhome by one of the 4 PO's so multiple rock chips on the hood and grille, but fairly unmolested mechanically. Nice hardtop with tinted windows, wiper and defrost in near-mint condition. Factory soft top in such good shape it's still almost too tight to get on.

Now: 4 inch longarm suspension, 33inch Goodyear Duratracs, cheap offroad rims I don't care about scratching, rock sliders, tummy tuck, motor mount lift, safari top, tonneau cover, LED taillights, hi-lift jack, fully armored underside, homebrew bumpers, half doors, and vinyl suspension seats. He's come a long way, baby!

my boyfriend has a well-modified '95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of the same types of mods as mine. It is actually a lot more capable offroad than mine, but it's pretty much an offroad-only vehicle:

video: DSCN3978.mp4 Video by DirtyRat | Photobucket

anyone else got a Jeep...or other offroad rig?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet! I wheeled with a guy who had a diesel Liberty a few years back. Mostly stock other than tires and a small lift but that thing went all over the place!

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

oh yeah, we have a '52 Willys CJ3a too:

unfortunately, my poor Cobalt doesn't get much love since the Jeeps moved in :(

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have a 99 durango with a small lift that i used to take off-roading..... until the motor died.... if I can't get it running again before winter im gonna be getting a grand cherokee tho....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
last group outing for our club had a guy in a nearly stock, newer Grand Cherokee. I tell ya, I was worried at first but he wheeled it like a champ and got through/over stuff I would never have attempted in such a rig, and only got a small ding in the rocker panel.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If i do end up getting one it will be a late 90's with the 5.9 in it, and it will be plenty capable after i get my hands on it..... I would settle for a cherokee but i just like the look of the grand cherokee alot better.........

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Jeep street project, full size. It's an '84 Grand Wagoneer two wheel drive. Yeah, I know. They didn't come that way but what I want is an efficient highway cruiser and trailer puller. It would be appropriate for towing my AMC powered dragster. I have a newly rebuilt AMC 360 in it and the 727 transmission from an Ambassador also rebuilt. I have the original 727 and transfer case for sale. The transmission that is in it will give way to an overdrive, probably a GM 4L80e with modular controller. I have a .440 lift cam in the engine, an Edelbrock R4B dual plane intake for the Holley Pro-Jection fuel injection system, MSD 6 Plus ignition, new headers, 4 core radiator etc. The next big thing I have for it is a front independent suspension from a Lincoln Town Car. When that's all done, I dunno, maybe IRS for the rear. Anyone ever heard of such a Jeep?

·
Registered
42 Posts
my offroad/ daily driver vehicle is my escalade. crank and blocks (2in lift) with some 33's. gm performance crate 350 that i installed in 2011 and now have 4500 miles on it. what it lacks in offroad ability's it makes up in weight and power. built like a truck not like these new toys.

my old jeep. 2wd sport converted to 4x4. d44's, 35 mickys, 4" long arm kit, cut fenders for extra clearance, fully rebuild motor, ax15 tranny and a bunch of other stuff. sold it before moving to texas (wish i never did :( )

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies, guys! I love my Jeep to bits, but found a great deal on an unmolested 05 Unlimited (LJ) Rubicon. My jeep is going to the VP of its fan club, my father-in-law who has done most of the work on it. I get to start over with my dream Jeep (more cargo room!) and my current Jeep will go to someone I know will take care of it properly. Plus I get to go visit it any time I want, LOL.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are a whole bunch of Cherokees in my local Jeep club and I've never seen it happen. There is a ton of aftermarket stuff for them, I imagine a gas tank skid isn't that hard to find. I have a stock skid from an Orvis edition on our Grand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.