Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
I would think cold air would be better for MPG... when I installed my AEM my avg MPG went up 2 and then another 2 when I went to the ss downpipe and catback... how would you do a warn air intake anyway?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You take a hose and attach it by the manifold so it gets warm air. Older v8's did this to make it easier to start and stay running in the cold.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Yeah, my old 3.8 had that. It looks like an oversized straw wrapped in tin foil that comes from the block and feeds the carburetor.

I can't imagine a WAI extending your mpg's. Cold air is packed denser with more oxygen atoms then ambient or warm air. Those atoms will burn more efficiently and release more energy, meaning your motor will develop more power for the same amount of effort. If the motor doesn't have to work as hard, it won't use as much fuel. I'm no chemist, but it sounds like a winning formula to me.

Then again, maybe I've been brainwashed by K&N, Injen, and all those other thieves lol

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Colder air requires more fuel. Warmer air doesn't. Hence higher mpgs

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Only problem with running a warm air intake is possibly going into detonation out of range of the preset values and might need to run a higher octane gasoline. But if you could regulate the temperature somehow to keep it right below detonation you would increase your mpg.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You could always use a solenoid and a thermometer. Just have to keep an eye on it, flip a switch to turn it off.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you drove the car easy with a CAI it should get better mpg because it doesn't have to work as hard but most ppl dont

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've seen ppl use dryer vent ( the metal stuff) and they claim reasonable gains. That was on the Eco modder forum

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure. I'm a sponge with info but only when I find it entertaining. Some guys making their cars suck hot air isn't entertaining enough for me to keep reading it

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Yeah, I'm the same way. I own at Trivial Pursuit, but can't name a single active Canadian politician (or party) that doesn't suck.

At first I laughed about the fact there even was an Eco forum, then I thought better of it. No need to crap on someone's passion, no matter how silly I think it may be. I can think of worse obsessions anyways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I considered on a turbo beater running a WAI, and water injection for both MPG and power when needed. That was before I learned that it wasn't JOBD/OBD2, so it wouldn't "help" as i couldn't monitor IATs. I might try it on the redline if I can find a cheap enough WAI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my insight my winter fuel economy went from an even 50mpg to 72mpg by having a WAI.

Most cars experience a 5-8% increase in the summer and a 15% increase in the winter depending on how far you typically drive.

Cheers
Ryan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.