Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just got a 2010 Cobalt LT with sport package and sun and fun package etc. I have already disabled the DLR but my question is, is there anyway to have the fog lights turn on when I start my car? I like the way it looks during day with fog lights and side yellow lights. I mean I could do it myself, but that would be annoying lol. (i'm lazy :bigsmile: ). Thanks for any help!

JR

·
Registered
191 Posts
Subscribing in case someone knows :) I'd be happy with them just coming on when the low beams come on. As with you, I just like the looks. There used to be a company that made something for GM trucks/SUVs. It would allow the fog lights to come on with the low beams and could almost be wired so the high and low beams stayed on together (can't do that with our cars). I ran highs, lows and fogs together. It was like the sun came up!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Since you disabled the DRL just connect the DRL voltage to the fog lights. That way they will come on as soon as you put your car in gear and you won't be a menace to other drivers. But you will have to turn them on at night the regular way when your headlights come on if you want them on then.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good idea! And to answer what I'm looking for, I did a search and don't see that any companies make a kit to allow the fogs to come on but I did locate this answer. It was to my question from last year -

I used to have my fogs wired into my headlights actually so that the sensor would turn them on with the headlights. My DRL fuse is pulled also to protect my two HID kits.

I then wired my fogs into a spare 10A fuse in the engine fuse box. They turn on with ignition so when the car is on they are on, looks bad-ass since they're HID's.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
He probably just pulled the DRL fuse. If you use a fuse tap and only put a fuse in second slot you will only have power to the bare end and not the DRLs, you can then route this voltage to the fog lights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I'm new to this, I usually get my dad to do stuff to my car, hes a mechanic, I am a service manager for sprint, i'm working on totally different technologies hahaha. What do you mean use the DRL voltage to the fog lights? Is it simple like a fuse swap? Sorry, don't mean to sound dumb!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Almost as simple. I would tie two fuse taps together insert in empty DRL fuse slot. Only install fuse in second slot of fuse tap supplying voltage to other end. Then pull fog light fuse and insert fuse tap with all its 15amp and 10amp fuses in proper direction. You might have to measure current drawn by fog lights to make sure they are properly fused.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you disable DRLs because U installed HIDs?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Okay I've never tried this but in theory since both relays are exactly the same I presume the DRL relay will endure the slightly higher current. Here is a drawing of what I mean. Do you have HID fogs?

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

You might have to replace the two 10amp fuses for 15s

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

This way either relay will light the fogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know..... I don't think so, I can give you my vin... 1G1AF1F5XA7205208 Sorry, i'm really embarrassed to sound so dumb on here about this. I have never messed with a car other then oil change, changing light bulbs, or changing/removing fuses.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well OEM fogs would not be HIDs. I guess what I am asking is did you change the fog halogen bulbs for HIDs?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Okay so you might have to change the two 10 amp fuses in my drawing to 15s

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If my car had fog lights I would try it to help you out but it doesn't. Sorry!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The gauge that comes with the wire tap is fine. Disregard the fuel relay. Red represents the wire between taps.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

I think you better get somebody to help you with this...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.