Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Do you use synthetic motor oil in winter?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • No I dont.

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so what brand and do you use 0w-30 or 5w-30?

Thanks, I live in Saskatchewan if that helps.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I use it all year...I used to use Royal Purple but now have switched to Castrol Synthetic (5w30 all year)

·
Registered
911 Posts
doesn't matter to me who the parent company is, as long as it makes my car run good..always need to think of urself before others cuz no body else will (my little motto)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use Valvoline 5-30 full synthetic. I use same in my truck. I wont even think about using Castol anymore as its a BP subsidary.
:amazed:
Just because BP do you also not get Gas at BP stations?
Its not like your hurting BP they have a crazy amount of money, Your hurting the people that own those establishment. Honestly I get gas where ever its the cheapest.

I had my oil changed a month ago I'm only @ 4,0XX Miles though and I changed my oil at 3,2XX, I would have to chose valolene* though because they have that 300,000 Miles warranty for cars that you register.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
:amazed:
Just because BP do you also not get Gas at BP stations?
Its not like your hurting BP they have a crazy amount of money, Your hurting the people that own those establishment. Honestly I get gas where ever its the cheapest.

I had my oil changed a month ago I'm only @ 4,0XX Miles though and I changed my oil at 3,2XX, I would have to chose valolene* though because they have that 300,000 Miles warranty for cars that you register.
No I do not use BP gas either, mainly since I live on a military base. But when I lived off base I used Shell. I use Valvoline in the car for same reason, and in the truck since I do the truck myself.

I use synthetic to help reduce the demand for "natural" oil.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Never used synthetic on any vehicle I've had and have always changed oil every 5000 miles. Never had a problem. Right now I use whatever Autozone has on sale - usually there own brand which is just repackaged from another brand.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
mobil1 5w-30

crappytire(its a canadian thing :laugh:) has it on sale right now, 4.4L plus a free 1L with it for $33 wich is an amazing deal, I bought a few, figured why not.

I'm changing my oil in a week or two whenever I get time (school is eating all my time up)

But yeah I heard you cannot go back to conventional after using syn? true? false?

but either way I will continue to use Syn in my car, because unlike the premo/reg gas arguments, there is no agrument that synthetic OIL is better then that other dino sludge for your car.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Think about this, if you don't buy BP then how will they pay for the oil spill? Just food for thought, and I buy mine at BP bc it's literally right on the corner of my street haha.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Think about this, if you don't buy BP then how will they pay for the oil spill? Just food for thought, and I buy mine at BP bc it's literally right on the corner of my street haha.
Same way all the oil companies years ago said that they lost all sorts of money after Katrina and got mega government money and then posted BILLION dollar profits. From their BILLION dollar profits.

·
Say What again!
6,014 Posts
I run 5W-30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic all year round.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use any name brand (which ever is on sale) dino....5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer. Not sure whether it matters to change...just figured thinner in winter thicker in summer.

I'm consistant about changing the oil every 3k miles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.