Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Audio guys- Help me install my new amp!!

6K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  GBALT05 
#1 ·
I'm getting a new amp because the one I've got in my car now BLEW!
[New amp comes next week]

I didnt install any of my current system [head unit, amp, subs, nothing!]
So how can I replace this amp?
And should I mount it [if I am able to] somewhere different than on the back of the box?
And please tell me why they ran this wire to the fuse box. Ive heard that youre supposed to run it to the back of the head unit.

Thanks!

Remember, a huge N00B in the audio department.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, I have two amps in my Cobalt '05 and I mounted them both on the back of my rear seats. as far as the wire going to the fuse box, I have no idea. I have a power wire going to my battery in my trunk, a ground wire and a remote wire that goes directly to the wire harness behind my deck. and my rca's

Greg

#4 ·
hey yea just undo all the wires and install the new amp on the floor flat with plenty of space around it..........where it currently is is about the WORST place to put it.........the blue wire is the wire that turns on the unit when u start the car.....mine is installed in my inner fuse box but its all the same.......if you need more help ask i can send you detailed instructions!!!!!! good luck.......go look at my pics and see my trunk that is a simple yet effective set up

#7 ·
what kind of spacer? Could I make one for cheap?

OVN2-800 - Power Acoustik 2 Ch. 800 Watt Series 2009 Amplifier

I was going to have a guy who installs systems for a living install mine plus a new box and recommended me this one. He said he had good experience with these and recommends them to a lot of people.

#11 ·
as far as the little blue remote wire, I'd recomend hooking it up to the head unit(use the power antenna wire) so it looks cleaner and will have a better connection

#13 ·
How and where do I hook it behind the head unit? Is it easy?

I have a 4ch power acoustik amp they run so great!!!!!! just use self taping screws and just add spacers below the holes on the amp.........like get 2 spacers per hole so 8 total then sit amp on top of them then drill in screws but first make sure the subs wont get damaged.....sound good?
Good to hear about them running great! I was a little skeptical at first because I had never heard of them. But COOL!

Hmm. I think I get what youre saying about the spacers and what not.
Pictures would help a lot better, or some kind of diagram.

There are holes on the amp?

#12 ·
I have a 4ch power acoustik amp they run so great!!!!!! just use self taping screws and just add spacers below the holes on the amp.........like get 2 spacers per hole so 8 total then sit amp on top of them then drill in screws but first make sure the subs wont get damaged.....sound good?

#14 ·
yea the holes in the corners where the screws allow it to mount to the box or whatever it is.......as far as the headunit goes...take it out of the dash then locate the blue wire then run it down from the headunit to the fuse panel on the passenger side then strip the wire and wrap it around a leg of the fuse for the WIPERS should be 10 amp or somethin.......then replace the fuse and make sure its all the way n.......then turn on the car and make sure the unit turns on then turn the unit off to make sure its all good........as far as wiring your amp just be careful you dont cross your power and ground wire.......um.....any other ?S

#18 ·
mmmm not liking that idea but hey its your car......use a good drill and self taping metal screws.......head unit is easy take off dash pieces and unscrew the bolts on the bracket that holds the radio in......then slide it out.....do the blue wire thing then reinstall....

#23 ·
ya its usually not best to hook it up to the sub box. i did with my last set up and it was ok but i had a JL amp which is indestructable... wouldn't recomend it. i know a couple people that have blown em pretty quick with it on their box

btw, that little silver thing just pops right off and you should be able to see the two holes im talking about

#25 ·
ya its usually not best to hook it up to the sub box. i did with my last set up and it was ok but i had a JL amp which is indestructable... wouldn't recomend it. i know a couple people that have blown em pretty quick with it on their box
Ok, so where do YOU recommend putting it? and where it will be easy to install to.

#27 ·
on our balts, im not too sure. id imagine you could hide it in the spare tire well without too much work(if your ok with no spare tire that is)

#31 ·
not to try and threadjack, but i need a new screw for my amp 2 get the remote wire held down. wehre can i get one? 7mm. not at home depot or anything.

#33 ·
EVERYTHING is better now!

The people who had installed it did a SH!T job of doing it. Southern Customs is the place.
DONT GO THERE!

They had mixed the ground and the battery cables up, screwed up the remote wiring, and did a half a$$ job to say the least.

Luckily I know some peeps who helped me figure everything out. Was a PAAIIINNN without a system going for about 3 weeks.

Now it hits harder with my new amp and im SET!! Absolutely love it!

#34 ·
woooooo,, i'll drink to that. and to anything else, and because i want to. but mainly to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.