Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of the Cobalts come w/ a mirror like this? I had one in my last GM and wondered if anyone purchased one and installed on their car. If they make one for the Cobalt, can you just get one that would go in another GM vehicle and just install it?

And of course, if anyone has a part nbr and price, that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was too interested in replacing my rearview with at least one that auto dims. Anyone know of a good place to find replacement mirrors? I am assuming that having on-star complicates/limits the choices a little bit?

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
My car came with onstar...but that was only for a year...

I removed the onstar mirror and just replaced it with a regular one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hmmm good point, after the one year is up no need for it really. Im curious just like bbrewbaker, is there power in the mirror cable or would separate wires have to be run...

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
I would guess it needs tapped into the dome light....I just got the regular mirror with no light...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have swapped my OEM Onstar equipped, non-dim, non-compass, non-everything with a GENTEX 26A OnStar equipped, Auto-dim, compass, and external/internal temperature. I prefer the temp display always available on the mirror so I can leave the DIC on whatever it was last left displaying.

Everything works fine. I know I ran the wiring for the external temp sensor but I think the switch acc pwr and always live feeds were already in the existing harness. All I had to do was plug the temp sensor wires into the existing GM harness. Time to swap: less than 5 minutes. Time to run temp sensor leads: 1/2 hr (Im kinda particular about things though). I did not get map lights but I wanted to keep the Onstar stuff as-is, dont know why I cared but I did. There are schematics on the internet to help if needed. Mine came explicit directions for wiring the mirror.

I have swapped "regular" mirrors with auto-dim models on a handful of GM vehicles (IIRC, a Buick, 2 Silverado's, Vibe, and Cobalt), and the odd toyota or two and from what I've seen either GENTEX makes these units for GM and other OEM's (Ford, Toyota,etc) or GENTEX buys em' from the same place. From the research I've done, Gentex appears to be the manufacturer.

Do a search on eBay motors for Gentex. There is a seller who has a great deal of information on the different Gentex models. Gentex makes LOTS of different models. As far as buying one, well eBay for one but oddly enough Ive also bought them from Toyota dealerships for LESS than eBay, just depends on features needed and time frame available for shopping.

Word of warning: If you get a used/pulled mirror with external temperature sensor, solder the leads to splice in any needed length. Butt splices can introduce enough voltage drop to throw off the temp calibration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, my memory sucks. I just went and looked and I DID HAVE TO RUN an extra power lead for accessory power.

I bought the one in my cobalt from brandnewauto.com. The one before was in a Vibe and that came from mazdastuff.com (meh, toyota, mazda, whatever....). I bought one for my old Silverado off of eBay.

I think I went with brandnewauto because I was in a hurry to get a new mirror because it was dark when I left for work and 9 out of 10 cars around here run with their bright lights on early in the AM and won't dim them for anything. Their prices were about like buy-it-now prices on eBay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One wire a pita? Took less than 15 minutes, and I went to the fuse block and not the dome light (which would have been easier).

Granted, if you get the mirror with external temp sensor, that has to be ran through the firewall all the way to the front. Still, even that did not take that long as the whole job was @ 1/2 an hour. Half the way the added power lead was ran along with my temp sensor leads anyway. Cobalts are one of the easiest cars I've ran wires through the firewall on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
yea having an auto diming one would be awsome if my back window wasnt so dark that i didnt need it lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.