Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The shifter's part of the whole transmission, right? Anyway, I made this thread on css.net and I wanted to transfer it here too. I first made it looking for advise and now that the problem is almost solved I am hoping to make it an informative thread. So I'm going to transfer it straight here.

"Okay so I squeezed the shifter when I didn't hit the brake and the silver button went in and stays there now. I took off the knob, and to what I can tell, the piston in the shifter doesn't come back up all the way which would make the button go back out. Other Symptoms: I can shift my car any time, even with no key. However, I do have to push the button the hair it will go to get it out of park and all, and my key can't come out without hitting the shift lock button under the steering wheel. The shifter still clicks when I hit the break too, but obviously hitting the button doesn't lock/release the key like normal.
I was just poking around, the sifter isn't retracting and releasing the button making contact to let the comp. know I'm going to shift. SO maybe a spring?
update: the little thing that pushes up on the knob's button is back but it still doesn't release the key. I found the switch that unlocks the key and I have know clue from there lol I'll prob take the center apart tmrw... I was just reaching threw the cup holder tonight"

"Update time: I took apart my center console and (without knowing how this works) found that the switch that has to be hit (to release the key) had nothing near it along with a track that looks like something should run along. So I started to come up with a "peg"(for lack of a better word) to put in the void. I came up with something that was usable, just needed to be made to fit. After a test fit I started looking around at the wires and things in there and found a 3 in. steel peg... BINGO!! Along with some plastic pieces. Somehow the peg found its way out of the assembly. I put it back and good as new(well almost), but I don't know where the plastic came from. I think it has to do something with keeping the peg straight. Reason being, when the car is off or in acc. if you go to squeeze the shifter you should get no movement. Now the peg catches on the flipper (activated by the brake) and just goes crooked, so the button can be depressed any time. It still locks the shifter from being moved when its not supposed to, but I feel (and am 100% sure) that it shouldn't work that way... I have to figure out where the plastic came from. I'll get some pics too to facilitate this explanation. Hey maybe I just saved some people from replacing a shifter.

Okay this is looking in from the driver side:

This is the opposite:

a pic of what "crooked" means:

and the unknown plastic piece:
"

"Just a bump, if anyone happens to have an auto, and has, or will be taking the center apart maybe snap a pic of the passenger side to compare. Maybe I can find where that plastic piece goes and fabricate a metal replacement. Or if I have to keep looking around in there for another stray piece. I'm sort of hoping to make this an informative thread, now that I found the issue, maybe others can use it for troubleshooting."

Sorry for the long read. Hope this thread helps, I remember seeing a lot of problems along the same lines before. The first post response I got was "buy a new shifter" and I wasn't about to give up that fast :bigsmile:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.