Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea I know its doable, but I think I should seek some help before proceeding.

Okay, so electric windows, don't you love them, I know I do.

I wanted to make a useful feature which I believe would not be that difficult to do.

So this is the idea, when I lock/arm my car, I want the windows to close at the same time.

I have a few circuits in my head to make this work, but nothing I can draw out, but here is the basic idea. We run a wire from an actuator on one of the doors, making sure its a positive when locking only, then we run that wire to a relay which can detect the voltage used to lock the door then supply a voltage to all the windows to raise them accordingly.

I have confidence in this idea and its circuitry, however, I need to come up with a solution for the "Window is already closed" problem. I need for voltage to window motors to be killed of the window is already closed, don't mind the voltage trying to close the window, but I don't think 5-10 seconds of voltage closing a window that is already closed been applied is good for the window motor.

Thanks for opinions and help in advanced.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
First of all their is a kill switch at either end of window travel. So even if you keep your finger on the switch no voltage goes to motor. But go on I'm reading and waiting. Door locks are BCM controlled, power windows aren't.

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Also measure how long it takes for the slowest window to travel from max bottom to max top. You will need this data to figure out what capacitor value to add to relay latch to hold for at least 20% longer than your slowest window. Probably in the 2 to 3 second range.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I know it might cost more but don't they have modueles that so this....but I think it's a separate button not the lock

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I was thinking independent power supply, using the lock actuator as the trigger to a relay which will enable the independent power source to the window motors.

Its about 4 seconds, so I guess well need to hold a charge for about 5 or 6 seconds.

PS. never knew about the kill switch already built in, I knew there had to be something, but never thought of that, that's one more problem I guess I do not need to worry about.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

I know it might cost more but don't they have modueles that so this....but I think it's a separate button not the lock

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

It would be the exact thing we're doing, but in a box with a price tag.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
yep, Viper makes add-on kits that auto-close windows after you lock the doors. I'd go with one of these since the circuitry becomes complicated, especially if you haven't done much electrical before. There are quite a few things to consider in the said circuit, as Coby7 pointed out a few.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm very interested in this. I used to have a car where this was a feature included in the (aftermarket) burglar alarm. I'd like to add my sunroof to close as well. Any more info on this Viper unit?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'd rather save myself the money and order a relay, a capacitor and some wires and a in-line fuse. This circuit it not all that complicated, it could be trial and error with the capacitor used, but the rest is pretty simple.

The Viper/or any other kit could cost $100+ . This simple circuit would cost less than $20 easily.

http://www.viper.com/P-530T/Window-Automation-System - Rolls only 2 windows (you will need 2 for 4 door) does not close when locking using stock remote. 2x $149 ea = $398.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You could do that or wire somthing to the key hole on the door like VW does. ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could do that or wire somthing to the key hole on the door like VW does. ;)
Pretty much what I'm doing, the actuator is what makes the door lock/unlock, its inside the door, I'm not sure about anything near the keyhole itself, pretty sure the actuator will be hooked up to a few rods or cables or something.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just need to take the BCM relay output to drivers door lock, latch a relay for 6 seconds and have it send a ground to all four window motors up position. You will need a blocking diode at all four switches so they remain individually closeable with buttons. This means you will only need to run one wire to the drivers door window command panel.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought as much about the blocking diodes, don't want the doors to lock every time I raise or lower the window, lol.

So I can just tap into the lock relay (which is labeled at the fuse box), just got to pick the right pin. Run a wire add our relay with 6 second charge, split it into 4 wires, add diodes, run one to each ground on the window in its up position pin then we're set?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'll check which pin on BCM for you and PM it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What i was saying is that in some VWs when you turn the key to the lock or unlock and hold it it will roll up and down the windows and open and close the sunroff. That would be easier I think.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OH,oh the whole thing just got more complicated. Voltage going to power window motor is RAP. This means for that 6 seconds you will also need to send B+ to all 4 motors. So you will need to find the RAP that feeds the doors and tap to it during that 6 seconds so you are going to need a DPDT relay and one more heavy duty blocking diode.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What i was saying is that in some VWs when you turn the key to the lock or unlock and hold it it will roll up and down the windows and open and close the sunroff. That would be easier I think.
I don't think Chevy's have anything like that.

Coby said:
OH,oh the whole thing just got more complicated. Voltage going to power window motor is RAP. This means for that 6 seconds you will also need to send B+ to all 4 motors. So you will need to find the RAP that feeds the doors and tap to it during that 6 seconds so you are going to need a DPDT relay and one more heavy duty blocking diode.
This is for the Cobalt or Impala?

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Or can we add this?

Auto Window Roll Up Closer Module Car Alarm for 2 & 4 Doors,Remote close windows | eBay

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
There you go cheaper than we could make it for.....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
But you'll have fun installing it and watch your windows close when you lock your car. Kool!!!!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I guess I will.

I see a few possible cons with this application though, maybe someones hand/arm could get caught while the window is closing.. Also, the auto lock (when driving off) could cause the windows to close unexpectedly.

I wonder if the module makes sure only when the car is locked/armed with the remote the windows close...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Probably all safety issues were taken care off prior to release to public.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.