Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I happen to have a spare auto shifter hanging around. If anyone has any questions about the auto gear selector now would be a good time to ask. I'm willing to take it apart piece by piece if you need assistance with something.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Haha was just gonna ask this. Probably simple, but I can't risk it and screw my car up cause I go in blindly. 2 questions. 1. How do you remove the chrome piece on the bottom of the shifter? Chrome peeled off and wanna paint it. 2. The red gear indicator that hovers over the gear letter is stuck on drive on mine. How would I fix that to move with the shifter?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To remove the chrome part you have to put shifter in neutral. Twist it clockwise about 20-30 degrees then pull down on it.

This will reveal a 3/32 allen countersunk screw, undo this screw and the top part of the knob will slide upwards and right off.

Then the chrome part can be slipped off, it's just held in place by snugging foam.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now, if you want to dive deeper, you can remove the top cover by prying the 2 front tabs or clips.

This is what you're left with.

To remove the PRNDIL lens just again pry one clip from either end and the lens will pop up.

Now would be a good time to clean it don't you think.

Cleaned

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Now you are down to this, the indicator red tab and the backlighting housing.

To remove the embellishing sliding strap just pull it out of the guides, again all this is better done with lever in neutral position.

Same for the front. Then cleaning is a must.

The backlight housing just pops out of 2 grooves.

Bulb socket comes out with a 90 degree counterclockwise twist. Good time to change the bulb or do an LED conversion.

Flip the housing upside down and the lens just falls out.

Again clean as you go.

If you need to service the park switch again it is just held in place by 2 tabs to either sides.

Then you can put it all back together.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Alright Coby7...great job so now it's time to put that shifter up on For Sale board so I can buy & install in my daughter's car...:laugh: :blink1:

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I borrowed this shifter from a friend, to do this demo. The trade was, he lets me borrow the shifter so I can take pictures and in return all I had to do was clean and replace the bulb. Fair enough I think. Selling it would be no problem but shipping it to you would probably cost more than the price of the shifter.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Forgot to show the solenoid that the brake pedal activates. It sits under the shifter.

In these pictures you can see the lever the solenoid moves and how it stops the shifter from moving.

Here I've moved it like the solenoid would.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm gonna head out and paint that chrome piece and hopefully get down to the red indicator. I'll update with pictures if I do on why mine was stuck and how to fix it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have a 2009 and that indicator stuck on my car early on in the life of the car. The dealer fixed it for free under warranty and it's been working since. I don't know what they did but it didn't take long to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Didn't buyit, I had it laying around. I'm kind off a hoarder and don't like to throw anything away. This was an old bulb I thought I could use the case from and I did. But you can buy them on ebay. I believe they are T5

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Or you can buy these and swap the LEDs to what you want. Not like you'll go bust....

T5 286 LED CAR Wedge Speedo Dashboard Dash Side Light Bulb Lamp White Best Price | eBay

·
Registered
20 Posts
shift position indicator red strip replacement

is there anyplace to get the red indicator piece, and will it come off as a piece that slides over lever?

Dealer says only with the shifter itself, $116.00
I'd like to replace the stock shift knob (I've silicone the black button on to keep it from falling off if it sticks to my fingers).

Are the shift knob and red indicator available as aftermarket pieces, or would I have to find an assembly at recycler and dismantle it?

I got to the indicator and have a square red piece, which had broken off from the piece over the lever.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get one from the recycler junkyard and replace the whoe assembly, it will be cheaper and easier for you. 4 bolts, aconnector and a clip. Done!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.