Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my driver side axle, got the old one out but now new one does not seem to want to go in all the way. Made sure ive got the correct axle, splines seem to okay/not damaged. Im losing my ****.Even tried installing w/o abs ring, still doesnt sit in properly, tried getting the old one back in.... nope. Are there any tricks/tips for installing these?

07 Lsj, no lsd

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where did get it from? And its not sitting right in the hub side im guessing?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Isnt there a lock clip on the lsj? Or c clip or something? Can't remember. Been a while since ive taken an lsj apart

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is. An abs ring, tried installing with and without it on, still didnt want to seat properly.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
they can be PITA you gotta puch harder.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I guess you got it. But I usually spray some oil or transmission fluid on the locking clip. Also on the splines on the trans side and more on the hub as well.

Dry fitting isn’t really recommended. Also I will oil or grease the seal at the same time on the transmission.

Getting it to seat, I’ll usually pull back where the tripod joint comes forward and give it had hard push. Sometimes takes a couple of goes.

You would really hate when the tripod gets stuck and you have to weld something to it and use a slap hammer. Like when someone brings in a wrecked vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts