Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i decided to finally order the B&M ShiftPlus and after reading a few people's comments about it, i'm a little skeptical about the whole thing. some people say its great, and other say it will damage my transmission. there isnt an actual thread on this topic, so i decided it was a good idea to start one to help out those that are on the fence about the shift plus like i am. so if anyone with the shiftplus could shed some light and tell us how much they do or dont like it, would be great. thanks in advance :bigsmile:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have one installed in my car and it has been installed for over 2 years now without any ill side effects. The device simply changes the trans line pressure signal making it seem like the pressure is lower than what it actually is. This allows the pressure to get a little higher in the lines thus creating a faster shift. I run this on stage 1 on a daily basis and drive at least 20 miles a day. I have also track proven that the device lowers your 1/4 mile times. For example this weekend I took it to the track, with the device off the car runs a 17.1, with the device on stage 1 I ran a 16.9, and on stage 2 ran a 17.0. These time are pretty slow but that is because my car is a show car and is an LS. I have added lots of weight and have limited performance mods.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I do not have one but my friend had one. (i have a 5 speed) He had the stage 2 constantly on even for daily driving. After a while he said the tranny started shifting weird so he took it out.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one installed in my car and it has been installed for over 2 years now without any ill side effects. The device simply changes the trans line pressure signal making it seem like the pressure is lower than what it actually is. This allows the pressure to get a little higher in the lines thus creating a faster shift. I run this on stage 1 on a daily basis and drive at least 20 miles a day. I have also track proven that the device lowers your 1/4 mile times. For example this weekend I took it to the track, with the device off the car runs a 17.1, with the device on stage 1 I ran a 16.9, and on stage 2 ran a 17.0. These time are pretty slow but that is because my car is a show car and is an LS. I have added lots of weight and have limited performance mods.
hm...thats interesting how your stage 1 time was faster than your stage 2. i'll probably keep mine on the neutral setting or stage 1 until 2 is needed ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
The reason for the time being slower on stage 2 over stage 1 is that because stage 2 allows for a higher pressure and a faster shift, the shift is pretty harsh and actually causes the tires to slip which results in the slower time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason for the time being slower on stage 2 over stage 1 is that because stage 2 allows for a higher pressure and a faster shift, the shift is pretty harsh and actually causes the tires to slip which results in the slower time.
that makes sense. i guess i'll never really have to use stage 2 then :blink:

·
Registered
869 Posts
The only time I have ever used it was at a test and tune one night at Tulsa Raceway Park. After a few stock baseline runs, resulting in 15.8-16.1, I decided to turn on the Shiftplus to stage one. I was instantly met with the first run of 16.9. Even after three more runs, (with both stages), The lowest I could get was with a 16.7, and that was with a near perfect launch. The problem I noted was that (at least with my car) while the line pressure was increasing in the transmission, the RPM's were extended to a point that the engine power was starting to fall off dramatically. It extended the powerband into a range the engine just did not make power in. There are many factors that could play into this, but with a near second slower ET (and 1-3mph lower trap) its pretty obvious to see what the problem was.It may effect other cars differently, but my friend who was there with his 2.2L Ion noted the same problem.

If you look at the applicable vehicles list when you get delivery of the part, you may notice that the latest model vehicles on the list are from 1997-98. This thing was not made for our cars, but because the programming in General Motors automatic transmissions is inherently similar in many models, it is being sold for our cars. Come on guys, what did you expect to get for 50 bucks?

Also, use at your own risk, because that extra heat generated is nothing but detrimental to future transmission performance.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah you guys are making me nervous. i mean im not really going to be racing i just want a little bit more push and i thought firmer shifts would help. am i wrong?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any GOOD feedback? haha

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its in the mail right now. i just wanted to hear more about it and enlighten other people that are on the wall about getting it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
b&m stop making it its now going to say herst on it same thing i orderd mine 2 weeks ago and got a herst its a good thing
thats interesting. fedex tracking said i should get it by thursday but i cant even install it for another 3 weeks because i sprained my ankle :/

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It doesn't require ankles to install lol :p
damn i was planning on installing with my toes haha jk but i cant put any weight on it for 2 weeks so its going to be kind of hard to maneuver around my car with a 10lb boot.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
youll be fine. ive ran mine for awhile now even on stage 2 everyday and no problems. and since you just want some firmer shifts and not racing just leave it on stage 1

ive never really heard anything bad about these

if you also want to help protect your tranny, get a tranny cooler. they arent expensive at all
do you know a site where i could get one?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.