Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well long story short. I tried to install my new B&M short throw shifter today. I got it all done expect I didnt know how to match up my gears afterwards. So I had to try and take it to a shop. I had to drive a mile in 4th gear cause it wouldn't go in any other gear. My clutch started smoking so bad we thought the car was on fire. We finally pushed it too the car shop and the guys there got it put on properly. But now my car smells like a burnt clutch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
time for a new clutch.. =/ i was going to get one and do it myself... nvm now.. sounds like a rough day..

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
wow.. they are not that hard to install.. The first time i did my TWM STS it tool me about an hour and a half. and that was when they had shitty instructions.. Now that i have done it i can do it in 30-45 minutes. Its not that hard..

·
Registered
253 Posts
well ill have to ask you if i get it!

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow.. they are not that hard to install.. The first time i did my TWM STS it tool me about an hour and a half. and that was when they had shitty instructions.. Now that i have done it i can do it in 30-45 minutes. Its not that hard..
we forgot to line up the gears properly before we disconnected the aft and foreward cables. That was our problem. My clutch is fine though, they checked it afterwards, yeah the shifter itself is good i just ****ed it up that was all

·
Registered
496 Posts
damn that blows...lucky about the clutch though

·
Registered
63 Posts
ok maybe a dumb question but someone told me the ss came with a short throw from the factory true or false?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
ok maybe a dumb question but someone told me the ss came with a short throw from the factory true or false?
It is a shorter throw than say the LS/LT but not that short. They still sell STS's for the SS/SC's too.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its technically not for a cobalt 2.2, its for the same tranny that is in a 2001 cavalier, sunfire, and vauxhall astra, thats why it works, at least thats what the box says, part # 45156

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe thats why you had such a hard time with it.. TWM makes a great STS
no we had a hard time because we assumed when you link the shifter back up to the gears, they went in roughly the same spot, well that changes with a sts thus making it "short throw" we tried lining it up way off of where we wanted it to be, it works great now

·
Registered
170 Posts

It does in a way but probably not as short as the after market one it sounds like he installed. I have the ss n/a one and its a short one...gunna get it shorter later lol.

·
Bamble Ramble!!!!
567 Posts
ok, so the b&m shifter for a 2.4L auto tranny is a good buy then? im thinking of getting one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.