Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all i had this problem for the past 4 months , my drivers side speaker has been cutting and out .. like it doesnt work now but sometimes when i put the bass up it comes back on .. not sure why its doing it ? is it a bad speaker ? both are pioneers , and i got a amp in the back .. perhaps a wiring issue or just bad speaker ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You've got what seems to be a bad connector in the wiring between the back of the stereo and the speaker it's self. I had dealt with much the same problem in the past with both front speakers. You could try checking where the door opens, between the hinges that tube which contains the wires for the speaker, and power windows and such(if you've got them) there is an actual connection where one would separate those wires should the door need to come off...so you wouldn't have to cut the wires, simply dis-connect one door and re-connect another. Don't remove the door, of course, simply find that plastic connection thing and check the wires themselves. You may find the problem.
When my speakers crapped for the second time I did little recon on the wires and found the problem to be that connection. If you haven't solved the trouble already, you might consider this a possible solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've got what seems to be a bad connector in the wiring between the back of the stereo and the speaker it's self. I had dealt with much the same problem in the past with both front speakers. You could try checking where the door opens, between the hinges that tube which contains the wires for the speaker, and power windows and such(if you've got them) there is an actual connection where one would separate those wires should the door need to come off...so you wouldn't have to cut the wires, simply dis-connect one door and re-connect another. Don't remove the door, of course, simply find that plastic connection thing and check the wires themselves. You may find the problem.
When my speakers crapped for the second time I did little recon on the wires and found the problem to be that connection. If you haven't solved the trouble already, you might consider this a possible solution.
Ya ill give a it a shot right now its annoying as it not working at all the past few days .. but sometimes as i said you turn the bass up it comes back on .

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think you have a blown speaker. Just change those cheap speakers and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
bad speakers

With all due respect to my esteemed and decorated fellow member, and even tho I am a new-bie, you should replace the factory crap speaker fer surrre, you should also check that connection through the door opening where the wires can be separated in the unlikely event that a door should have to be removed.

I'm sorry for suggesting you check it, I changed speakers twice before following those wires to get to the source of the trouble.

" Advice is like medicine...one does not have to take"

Thank you (<-,->)

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

When the speaker is not working, does the turn signal sound stop as well??
All those sounds come through that speaker.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not knocking your theory at all buddy, it could be a broken wire, it's just he says when he turns up the bass sometimes it will come back. To me that says swollen voice coil rubbing on the magnet and stopping movement. Bass having more energy finds a way to move it again. Time will tell....

·
Say What again!
6,014 Posts
Well, he said they are Pioneers - but did not mention if they are the factory Pioneers or aftermarket. If they're factory - it's more than likely the speaker is shot, due to the paper cones - aftermarket speakers should not suffer from the same issues as long as they don't have a paper cone (which most don't).

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I've changed all 8 in my 3 Cobalts and G6 all but one were the speakers themselves, one was a broken wire right at the speaker connector, the wire had pulled away from it's tie-down point and was bouncing around in the door of the 07. 2 of these speakers were OEM Pioneer, they still failed.

·
Say What again!
6,014 Posts
They could - but it's not likely unless you have a lot of moisture in the door.

Worth pulling the speaker out to see.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
MP81, I seem to remember the OEM speakers as not being paper, if I remember they were a gray silver polyvinyl cone. I know for sure the 6X9 are polyvinyl, just had one in my hand. Thought I had saved one of the old 6½'' Pioneer but I couldn't find it to prove to myself.

·
Say What again!
6,014 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah now I remember those, they were paper and distorted from the moisture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone mind giving some advice?

My 2 front speakers in my 2008 cobalt (2 dr LS) haven't worked since I got the car 2 months ago. I understand this isn't unusual. They've both popped back on for a moment once or twice at higher volume, but have been silent 99% of the time.

My question is a tough one to answer, but basically I wondering if I should attempt swapping them myself. A little background, I have experience doing some basic things like building computers, so I have a mind for troubleshooting and the like. However I don't really KNOW electrical at all. Like amps, capacitors, and all of that jumbo jumbo lol.

My biggest concerns are taking the door panel off, which I have no experience with (and getting it back on!) and wondering what the odds are that it would have to be completely rewired, in which case I'd definitely be out of my depth.

Based on some of the posts here, the odds seem decent that swapping the speaker would be successful?

Lastly, buying a random, (cheap!) aftermarket speaker, are the connections fairly universal? Will it be relatively "plug and play"?

I'm no audiophile. I just want something functional. Should I just pay someone to install it, or am I stupid to not just do it myself. I've seen YouTube videos about the door panel, and they make it seem easy enough, but I know stuff never goes smooth in real life, lol. I have manual door locks and Windows. If that makes much of a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: eyeing up these. Amazon gives them decent reviews. Any 6.5 inch speakers should work theoretically? One of my bigger fears is having my door torn apart then realizing I need some adapter or extra part. I also don't solder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't think any aftermarket speakers will be plug and play. If you don't wanna mess with modding the current speaker's bracket, you'd need an adapter bracket, and if you don't wanna solder, you'll need a speaker adapter. With those items, it should be plug and play.

Speaker Adapter Bracket

Speaker Wire Adapter

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think any aftermarket speakers will be plug and play. If you don't wanna mess with modding the current speaker's bracket, you'd need an adapter bracket, and if you don't wanna solder, you'll need a speaker adapter. With those items, it should be plug and play.

Speaker Adapter Bracket

Speaker Wire Adapter

Thank you for that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Only problem is sometimes the problem isn't the speaker it's the wire going into the connector. I prefer to just cut the wires and crimp on new spade connectors or butt connect the wire that sometimes comes with the speaker. This gives you a better chance at success. Make sure they are 4Ω and can handle at least 150Watts, you can stay away from 3 ways since the speakers are almost at floor level, highs will be absorbed before they reach your ears.

OEM

And here are the wire colors and polarity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again for the great extra info, esp about the 3way speakers. I was wondering about 2way, 4way etc

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.