Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems like the cobalt has a pretty sophisticated charging system, with features designed to extend the life of the battery.

my son's is still the original, after 110,000 miles and six years.

what are folks experience with the oem battery life?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
5-7 years and you've done good, everything after that is bonus. My 07 still has original battery and still running strong but only 101,000Kms.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My cobalt has 9 years on the original battery. Never ever had a problem with the battery

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
My 09's battery was replaced last summer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
my 06 is on its 3rd battery that could be partly my fault for replacing the original with a walmart battery

·
Registered
163 Posts
I could swear my battery is the original, or at least as old as I've had the car (exactly 6 years ago), but I feel like the last time I took a look at it the sticker on it indicated I had replaced it at some point.

Either way, it's been trouble-free in all the time I've had it. Never needed a jump, but it's done some jumping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Money man, do you keep yours outside, or in a garage, all babied nice and warm?

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

My 09's battery was replaced last summer.
did it die, or did you just figure it was time?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Had the key get stuck in the on position and running, stalled it out because it happened when I was at work, battery was dead by the end of the night because I didn't have any tools to disconnect the battery. Went in for the warranty the next day but the battery remained shot. Whenever I left it on for more than 30 seconds without the engine running the battery light would come on until I ran it for 10+ minutes and shut it off. Ran that battery for a few more months and then replaced it late July so I wouldn't have to worry about it come winter.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Replaced my battery two years ago on my '06 G5. Got to the point where the engine would turn over 5-6 times before catching or not start at all. Boosted it a few times. Got the battery on a bench and checked the voltage while charging. Was reading north of 16 volts. Figured it was time for a replacement.

Car was a little shy of 100k kilometers at the time. Got a new OEM ACDelco battery for $130. No problems since, knock on wood.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I replaced the battery in my 07 LS in 2010. It was pretty much shot, but there were a few times it had to be jumped because I had my amp wired to a switch and would forget to turn it off every once in while.... I think that might have shortened my battery life... I haven't had and problems since I properly wired my amp, and replaced the battery though. Also the guy I bought my SS from just replaced the battery in that. He said he let it run when he was cleaning the car out for me, and when he tryed to have it recharged it would hold, so he replaced it 3 days before I picked the car up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to get a jump yesterday after sitting in the car listening to the radio for an hour.

think it is probably time for a new one?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Had to replace the battery in my daughter's 06 LS on the ride home. Former owner already indicated the car was being jumped every time they started so handed over ca$h & headed to Auto Zone for swap. Car had little over 133K miles and bone stock...

The other battery could've been original, but one issue owners should check is the battery vent tube. Ours was totally plugged w/gunk and battery was extremely warm. We believe an insect crawled up tube and nested. Got to make sure the battery vent functions...could impact battery performance. Kind of hidden away there in the trunk...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gm has a national sale on batteries now. $129.95 for a 30 month free replacement AC Delco Silver. I want to check on a couple interstate battery prices too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an 08 LT with 155,000km so, 96,000mi and still original. This last winter we have though killed my battery. I had a lot of slow cranking starts and it dies out pretty fast if I'm just playing music without the engine running. I'll need a new one in November when it gets cold again (damn Canadian winters - I want a nice beach :(...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.