Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what makes the battery light turn on. Mine has been coming on fairly often. Monitoring the voltage via obd2 scanner live data. At first I thought the alternator or voltage regulator was going out. Replaced the alternator as the voltage regulator is built in. First start after replacing the battery light was on from the moment I started it. Turned off the car and restarted it, light was off. Before replacing the alternator when the light would come on, if i let off the throttle the light would turn off. Seems like it should be in the reverse order maybe.

Anyways after replacing it and driving the car to work today the light came back on. Monitoring the voltage with the obd reader I can see that the voltage at a constant throttle was 13.7v. Light would come on with the voltage being constantly 13.7v. Let off the throttle and the light would turn back off. Heres where things get odd. The voltage will do one of two things. It either fluctuates between 14.5-15.2v or fluctuates between 12.4-12.8v. If I drive the car in a higher RPM I get these weird fluctuations too. There is no issues that I am noticing. Car runs fine, dont have anything not working or cutting out. Battery is less than a year old.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Check the grounds there are several that could give you fits.
There are links here with pictures for the various grounds and where to find them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the same symptoms i'm seeing after replacing my battery. Where are the grounding locations i need to check?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Search the forum for ground location images

1 - 4 of 4 Posts