Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ya'll! I have this issue where I can have my ignition in acc mode to listen to the radio. But then it'll die down after about 7 min or so. What's causing this to happen? It shouldn't drain at all in that mode. My battery is excellent and my alternator is fine. So I'm curious to know why it does that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You're correct, but do you have any other upgrades or options draining your battery (i.e. security, accessory, etc.)? Also, how old is battery, are the cable ends clean (not corroded) and is the vent tube open/unclogged? If all is well, you might have a short somewhere draining your system...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sounds like something else besides the stereo is draining the battery dramatically. Just like what Iceman says, how old is the battery? When you have just ACC switch on, the alternator cannot charge the battery just to let you know.

If you have access to a fluke or Digital Multimeter, run positive lead to positive side of battery terminal and negative to negative. Hold it there for about 10 seconds and while holding your leads onto the posts, remove the negative terminal clip (10mm or 12mm) with the dmm lead still on there, you should still maintain 12.45v or higher, if it starts dropping after negative post is removed, then you have a parastitic drain.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
5t3alth I think you should proof read what you just wrote...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
5t3alth I think you should proof read what you just wrote...
The fluke method is a technician method through Nissan NATT. Parastitic drain is caused by unwanted amperage draw when vehicle is turned off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fluke method is a technician method through Nissan NATT. Parastitic drain is caused by unwanted amperage draw when vehicle is turned off.
I'll check those and reply back.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

You're correct, but do you have any other upgrades or options draining your battery (i.e. security, accessory, etc.)? Also, how old is battery, are the cable ends clean (not corroded) and is the vent tube open/unclogged? If all is well, you might have a short somewhere draining your system...
No mods what so ever. Cable leads are clean as well with the vent tube unclogged. I'll check the battery also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.