Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. I just had the alternator replaced about a month ago. I just replaced my battery about 5 days ago. This morning it is about -7 degrees outside. I went out and started my car to warm it up before leaving for work. It started fine considering sitting outside all night. I let it warm up for about 20 minutes. Once I started driving it I noticed that my display said "Battery Saver Mode". I was a little worried because this is what came up on my screen when my alternator was going out but it was also accompanied by another message (Charge saver mode). I don't think it is anything to do with my alternator. The car ran fine and drove great the whole way to work. I am wondering if my battery is bad or if it is due to the sub zero temperatures.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is that an after market system? I didn't think Cobalts had that.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Doesn't it mean that your battery has dropped below a certain voltage threshold? If so, your alternator isn't working right or you have a bad battery. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went to lunch and everything worked fine. No message in the display. I am going to stop and get my battery checked just in case once I get out of work. Thanks for your insight!

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
You'll get that message if an accessory was left on for a prolonged period of time after the car was shut off (20 minutes I believe). The computer will see this, shut off the accessory (usually head or dome lights) and trigger that message. It shouldn't cause any serious effects, the car should still be able to start normally, it's only a safety feature.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
best safety feature, ever!

·
Registered
172 Posts
ive left my trunk open saw light went off after a while yet have never seen that message

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.