Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think my car has enough done to it to justify a showoff thread, even though it's not quite done yet.

I gotta say, I love my car. It's really grown on me since the day I bought it. Happy i made the choice I did. It has been very good to me and I will be good to it so that it lasts me many years to come as a daily driver.

I'll update the mods as they continue, and I'll probably forget some stuff. Here we go:

EXTERIOR MODS:
-Tint: 35% sides, 20% rear...SO PERFECT!
-Full SS body and lip kit
-Retrofit Headlights: Custom FX-R Bixenon projectors and LED strip angel eyes
-6K Morimoto 50W 5Five HID kit (retrofits)
-OEM SS fog lights with 6K Morimoto 5Five 50W HID kit
-17" black (with chrome lip) DEI rims, low profile Nankang NS-II tires
-Debadged EXCEPT for "cobalt" on trunk
-Carbon Fiber wrapped front bowtie

SUSPENSION:
-Fe5 (SS/TC) struts and shocks
-B&G springs, front modified with 1 coil cut (no more reverse rake :D) - lowers approx. 3 inches

INTERIOR:
-Gunmetal carbon fiber dash trim and center console
-Redline Goods leather shift boot and leather e-Brake boot (black perforated with blue stitching)
-MOMO leather shift knob and MOMO leather e-brake handle
-Custom Wrapped "SS-style" blue and black seats (basically identical to OEM SS seats)
-Custom glove box crossover layout
-Glowshift tripple pillar pod with tinted 7-color series boost, wideband and oil pressure gauge
-Blackcatcustoms blue LED kit for OEM gauge cluster
-blue LED under-dash kit (LEDglow)

CAR AUDIO/ICE:
-Clarion MAX385VD Double Din touchscreen head unit
-JBL Power series front 6.5" components
-JBL power series rear 6x9
-JBL 1004 600wRMS 4-channel amp
-Clarion DPX11551 1550RMS mono amp
-Two JBL GTO 350RMS subs in ported encosure
-FATMAT: 100sf, cabin roof, both doors, trunk lid, rear deck
-EXPANDING FOAM to help with sealing/vibration from system along with fatmat in most cracks.

PERFORMANCE/ENGINE:
-ZZP stage 2 turbo kit - set to 7PSI, with 39# injectors (for now...), external dump, high-flow CAT 2.5" downpipe
-Mandrelexhaustsystems stainless 2.5-inch exhaust with Borla muffler (sounds SEX!)
-EXEDY stage 2 clutch with OEM flywheel (works great)
-Trifecta tuned

OTHER:
-Complete power window upgrade with all OEM parts

FUTURE MODS:

-Subwoofer upgrade (wand some Fi SSD's)
-Battery upgrade (big ass Kinetic battery)
-Big 3 upgrade most likely (0-gauge wire from alt to battery)

-Short Shifter Kit

-All black interior panels

-New 18" rims and wider tires (next spring - NEED MORE TRACTION!!!)

-Possible forged internals for MORE BOOST.

PICTURES:

DIRTY ENGINE I know but it's the only pic of the engine bay that is good.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
VIDEOS:

FIRST STARTUP WITH TURBO KIT

HAVING SOME FUN ON A WET DAY (no traction)

UPDATES: APRIL 2012: SS/TC Upper/Lower grille, OEM Painted Mirror Covers

Not installed yet: TTR Transmission Mounts and new RIMS!!!!!

Well I took my road trip today down to massena NY, I crossed over from Ontario and came back through in Ontario as well because taxes are only like 4% there as opposed to like 13-15% if I came back through Qc.

Well, overall everything was good, bad news is when I arrived at the Kinek point where I had sent all my packages (they were super nice there), I checked the rims and discovered that DiscountTire had sent me theWRONG color. I had specified over the phone that I wanted MATTE BLACK, and they had sent me the chromium black. I was fairly disappointed, but at least my other packages were there and in good condition so overall I figured I would figure the color thing out when I got back home.

Soon as I got home, I washed my car to get all the nasty dirt off from the long week of driving everywhere. Then I installed the mirror caps (SUPER easy to unclip then clip new ones on) then the upper/lower grilles (quite easy as well for the most part):

BEFORE PARTS:

AFTER (SS/TC Upper/Lower grilles, OEM Painted Mirror Covers):

And here are the rims. After unpacking them, I realised they were not so bad and actually look really good. Darker than I first though which is goood because I hate chrome, but at least they are shiney. I might rock em for a couple of weeks and see if they grow on me. But I'm still really set on matte black rims, I'll surely end up painting them eventually (BTW if anyone can suggest good paint that will last LONG and look flawless, or should I just take it to my body shop?):

Mock-Up beside the car to KIND of give an idea of color on my car:

·
Registered
170 Posts
mhhh looks great!!! love it. need to do black interior swap!!!

as in the panels lol

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mhhh looks great!!! love it. need to do black interior swap!!!

as in the panels lol
Thanks! next spring I will, not a huge priority since I figured the other mods were much more important and functional. I'll hit up a junk yard or something once I have a bit more cash (starting next month lol)

I also desperately need some new rims and wider tires

·
Registered
170 Posts
yeah im debating on doing F/I or selling it lol

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im debating on doing F/I or selling it lol
it was well worth it to me. especially since I still get amazing gas mileage when I don't go into boost. And I'll be buying a summer car soon after I graduate and keeping the balt as a daily, pretty nice power for a daily.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I just found it :smile1: Awesome car man!!

(PS could you clear your pm box I can't send you pm anymore because it is full)
Thanks! and done!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice car man. where did you buy your turbo? How much did you pay it (w/ installation)?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice car man. where did you buy your turbo? How much did you pay it (w/ installation)?
Thank you! I went with ZZP's stage 2 turbo kit. It cost me a little under $3k shipped, but I had it shipped to me in my hotel in the US when I was on a business trip to save money. I also had to get an upgraded clutch, some gauges and a tune which added to the cost. I installed everything myself, except for the clutch.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updates in Post #2

·
Registered
611 Posts
i think i want those rims in a bronze color. or buy them used and paint them white :p like the ricer i am

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think i want those rims in a bronze color. or buy them used and paint them white :p like the ricer i am
white would look badass on your car. Not even remotely ricer.

UPDATES: sooooooo I put the new rims/tires on the car....well turns out the rear rubbed like a mofo with my suspension setup. We tried rolling the fenders as best we could, worked a tad bit (brought it out maybe 1/4 inch) but didn't want to go out more than that and the paint on that side began to crack just above the tire on the fender so we gave up. I'll let the body shop handle it for me. Looked amazing though. In the meantime, I put my stock rear springs back on, although cut about 1.5 coils off the bottom. Still super high but at least I can drive around.

well, here are the pics of it when it was in "rub" mode. Very beautiful, can't wait to get my fenders pulled and put the aftermarket springs on again:

---------- Post added 04-29-2012 at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-28-2012 at 10:25 PM ----------

bumpity

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I got bored of being so high up in back and impatient, went down the street to my friends house and tried banging the rear fenders a little with a rubber hammer...don't think it did much though, as the lip of the fenders is thicker steel for some reason and just a pain in the ass to pull/deform/whatever. Anyways so I put my old suspension back on and we went for a test drive. A little rubbing but not as bad as I thought, and they only rub slightly in one spot on the corner of the tire. So I kept it like that and am currently driving around with no issues :D

Some shots after I washed it yesterday (better shots to come soon hopefully):

And a shot outside my friend's house before going to see the Avengers movie, which was freaking awesome BTW :D

[hr]still curious to see how those rims would look matte black...lool one day haha

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
How much is it going to cost to get your rear fenders fixed?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much is it going to cost to get your rear fenders fixed?
probably won't be getting em "fixed". They are alright as-is, barely rub. One side has some paint chips right at the bottom of the fender, I'll have the body shop make it look mint again. No big deal .

My good friend's brother-in-law owns a body shop with his brother, thye always hook me up with good deals. I had my whole SS kit installed and painted there, they do good work and gave me a sick deal. Not sure how much they will charge me to touch up the fender but I'm sure it'll be reasonable so I'm not worried. My car has dings and such anyways all over from ppl hitting it in parking lots (freaking stupid ass ppl) so yeah eventually I might repaint the whole thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.