Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've now had the Cobalt for a year already and not real happy with it. Its got a few problems right now as it sits. the remote locks arent working at all and it makes noise when I make right turns. plus the trademark rattles which I hide with my stereo. idk, just kinda pissed I bought it and owe money on something I cant stand. I also made the mistake of buying an auto thinking it would be nice to own a auto again but nah, it sucks. the MPG is not as good as I think it should be, and the power band is a joke even for a 4 banger. plus I think its got a bad rotor cuz the brakes pulse when I hit them at higher speeds like on the highway. its also awesome when I am 3 hours away from home seeing the GF at school and the traction control light, ABS light and CEL come on for no reason and then turn off for no reason. For a small cheap car I dont expect much, but damn I expect more than this.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow... Have you considered that maybe the mpg you are getting is not the car's fault? Just a question, and not a flaming...
I got 18 inch rims and its a cobalt, i dont race down the roads lol.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well, I've now had the Cobalt for a year already and not real happy with it. Its got a few problems right now as it sits. the remote locks arent working at all and it makes noise when I make right turns. plus the trademark rattles which I hide with my stereo. idk, just kinda pissed I bought it and owe money on something I cant stand. I also made the mistake of buying an auto thinking it would be nice to own a auto again but nah, it sucks. the MPG is not as good as I think it should be, and the power band is a joke even for a 4 banger. plus I think its got a bad rotor cuz the brakes pulse when I hit them at higher speeds like on the highway. its also awesome when I am 3 hours away from home seeing the GF at school and the traction control light, ABS light and CEL come on for no reason and then turn off for no reason. For a small cheap car I dont expect much, but damn I expect more than this.
Well the rattles are easily fixed, oh and About your power band...a 2.2 Automatic.....thats why...:laugh:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well the rattles are easily fixed, oh and About your power band...a 2.2 Automatic.....thats why...:laugh:
+1 the stick is so much faster. Or at least it feels faster. lol :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The power band is a lot better then some econo 4 bangers, go drive a new civic or foreign econo car and you'll be able to tell the difference. And as far as the gas mileage it depends how you drive, its not gonna get good gas mileage on its own. Not trying to be a **** I'm just stating what is true. For me paying 15,000 for a cobalt with extra's (rims, sport package etc) was a good deal for a brand new car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no joke. that also could be cuz this is my first car with a 4 banger. everything before was a V6 except the VW it was a VR6 lol.

The MPG should be just a little better, I drive like I should and think it could be better. Gas isnt 4 bucks anymore so its no sweat but just wonder if maybe something is a little off effecting the engine.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

The power band is a lot better then some econo 4 bangers, go drive a new civic or foreign econo car and you'll be able to tell the difference. And as far as the gas mileage it depends how you drive, its not gonna get good gas mileage on its own. Not trying to be a **** I'm just stating what is true. For me paying 15,000 for a cobalt with extra's (rims, sport package etc) was a good deal for a brand new car.
I drove an auto tC a few years back. I spun the tires in it pretty decent (for what a 4 banger can) and the balt dont do shit.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I drove an auto tC a few years back. I spun the tires in it pretty decent (for what a 4 banger can) and the balt dont do shit.

:amazed: Damn that sucks. On the test drive before I bought mine I gave her 4,000 rpm, dumped the clutch, then floored it. She lit up like the 4th of July. I did not know auto balts were that bad.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:amazed: Damn that sucks. On the test drive before I bought mine I gave her 4,000 rpm, dumped the clutch, then floored it. She lit up like the 4th of July. I did not know auto balts were that bad.
yeah, if I hammer it the tracton control kicks on and stops the engine from reving up. Lame. NO FUN!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drop it into low gear, and try again. lol and I wasn't referring to every 4 banger just econo cars. The TC compares more to the 2.4. The 2.2 is in the group with civics, ford focus's etc.
the tc isnt a performace car at all. at least in stock form. the engine is a 2azfe, the 'fe' stands for Fuel Economy. its a eco motor. its got 160HP, and the new one is a 2.5L with 180HP. still an eco motor tho. a lot of things effect MPG, size of the engine and how you drive doesnt always matter. the car I had before the balt was a 96 Jetta VR6 and it got 30MPG and it had a 2.8L VR6 engine (its a 5 degree angle inline 6) and was fun to drive. the car before that was a Ford probe GT that had the 2.5L V6 that also got 30MPG and was fun to drive when it ran lol.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
You will never break the tires loose on an auto unless you turn off the traction and do a neutral drop lololol. Same goes for v6 cars with electronic throttle though. I've tried it in the impala's and maybe a malibu? too much computer crap controlling the auto's these days. Like will said though. I can light up my stick balt no problem and she burns em good. even gets rubber shifting into second and slides the front end sideways hahahaha.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
miles on car? you want gutless, try a 2.2 OHV cavalier. Miles could be a reason if you havent done much than just change oil. Also rattles, do you have a system or play music loud, another factor that can lead to rattles other than the interior just being cheap. Not saying there well be no rattles but bass and such well loosen shit up pretty good making it worse for some.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
miles on car? you want gutless, try a 2.2 OHV cavalier. Miles could be a reason if you havent done much than just change oil. Also rattles, do you have a system or play music loud, another factor that can lead to rattles other than the interior just being cheap. Not saying there well be no rattles but bass and such well loosen shit up pretty good making it worse for some.
72K and the rattle is coming from the suspension

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a 2.2 auto and I love it. lol It isn't fast, but it looks like an SS. Just give the e-brake one click and floor it, the lights and warning bells are annoying but I can still spin the tires a good amount from a dead stop.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.