Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to end up saying dont beat the car, whatever. When Im driving spirited or trying to outrun oncoming traffic on an onramp, etc, and winding out to 5500-6000 rpms and shifting very quickly and engaging and disengaging the clutch fast on these accelerations, I am getting a belt chirp/squeak during these occasions. Does this mean my belt is shot and slipping under the heavy engine load? Car only has 20k on it, and still under warranty, but a little worried to go to the dealer and explain how and when it happens, because I know it will get blamed on abuse, etc, but would it be covered on the bumper to bumper, or should I just go to autozone and get a gatorback belt?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yeah it's slipping, but make sure it's the belt! check the belt for cracks on the ribs. if it's not cracked, it's a tensioner issue. i understand you wanna learn about your car but if it's under warranty you have nothing to worry about! don't get those gator belts i always use gates or delco belts the gators crack faster and it's harder to notice when they do. it will not void warranty if you are stock. if the car wasn't made to go to 5500-6000 rpm they would design it so you couldn't. there's no such thing as abuse on a belt unless you modify the mechanism with say an underdrive pulley.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright sounds good, Ill have to make an appointment and see what they can do with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.