Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best Fog Lamps for 20007 G5 SE?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Mkulrey13 
#1 ·
I got the bumper inserts for the fogs and wondering if anyone knows of what fog lamps would work best. I also want these wired so that they are hot only during key "on". If anyone has a recommendation that would be awesome.

Thanks!!!

#2 ·
I bought a Morimoto 50w 6K HID kit for my fogs from theretrofitsource.com, and they came with wiring harness with a relay on it. I wired the relay's power directly to the positive terminal under the hood, and the relay on switch I ran through the firewall to an on/off switch, which connected to a fuse in my fuse box under my dash. It gives power to the HID's only when I turn the car on or when it is all the way in accessory, but I can turn them off via the switch. Best way to do it IMO.

#3 ·
Does this keep the ballast charged up too? I'm guessing no, or your battery would be dead all the time, but just want to be certain.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

I got the bumper inserts for the fogs and wondering if anyone knows of what fog lamps would work best. I also want these wired so that they are hot only during key "on". If anyone has a recommendation that would be awesome.

Thanks!!!
You can use the switch idea mentioned above, or just hook your power line of the fog up to the ignition or ACC wire rather than the battery. Then whenever the car is on, the fogs are on.

#4 ·
Does this keep the ballast charged up too? I'm guessing no, or your battery would be dead all the time, but just want to be certain.
no, ballasts don't charge up, if the ballasts have power then the HID's are on. Relays are basically switches, so the circuit is closed when the car is off, even though the relay is connected directly to the positive battery terminal. It draws no power whatsoever when the car is off.

#12 ·
yeah, retrofits are pretty much my favorite mod, I guess besides my turbo build lol. They have phenominal light output, they are unique and look badass, and work great. I love modifications that not only look awesome but provide upgraded functionality and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.