Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just got a 2006 cobalt lt. My friend has a 93 Ford probe with a few mods and he keeps trying to get me to race him. However I know it can't keep up sense his car tops out at 170, and runs high 10s low 11s in 1/4 mile. Where would be the best place to start modding my car. I don't have a huge budget and don't have a vast knowledge of cars. However I do have a few mechanically inclined friends that I would trust to do work for me. I was thinking about starting with a light weight flywheel and a stage 2 or 3 clutch sense my clutch is starting to feel spongie. This is my daily driver also so I don't want anything that will really hurt my mpg or make it uncomfortable for street driving.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I seen that thread right after I posted this. I'm using my phone and it's not wanting to load this site well. What would be the best clutch to go with sense it needs replaced anyways? I have driven a few cars with a stage 4 clutch and it was not comfortable for normal street driving. I don't need a super fast car to beat most of the tuners in my area so I won't be doing a ton of mods most here can't keep up with me and mine is still completely stock. I cry a little every time I beat a ss in my lt.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
If you want to keep up with your buddy's Probe, it's going to take alot of work. Turbo would be the only option. Unfortunately, real life modding isn't like video games, and you can't simply drop in a turbo and expect 100+ hp. You will need many supporting mods and internals to keep it running reliably, and that will cost money.

Staying NA will be much cheaper and far less of a hassle. Your car will never be super quick, as our motors don't seem to respond as well to bolt-ons and tunes then say a Honda for example. Fully bolted and tuned, you might see high 14's on the strip. But if you're on a budget and not too concerned about high power, then I'd say it's the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so if I get friends to do the work would I be able to turbo my car and get the proper internals to support the motor being turboed for about 6000? That's my max budget and has to include replacing my clutch. I seen a zzp turbo kit for 3500 I think it was but don't know what else I should buy for internals. Or if the zzp kit is worth the money. I am not adverse to using cheaper ""knock off"" parts as long as they are reliable.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I don't know if I can agree with that, but it will cost a lot of money. It's the same with modifying any car, fast or slow. In the Cobalt's case, it's much cheaper to modify then, say, a Bimmer or something.

I know these cars aren't easily comparable, but just to give you an idea.

Supercharger kit for E92 M3
M3 Tuning | VF Engineering

Supercharger kit for a 2.2/2.4 Cobalt
Chevy Ecotec 2.2 or 2.4 Bolt on Supercharger Kit | ZZPerformance

You could buy a clean SS/TC for the price of some of the M3's kits. Whatever you spend on your little Chevy, there's always someone who'll spend more, just because he has a fancier badge on his hood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd do what plain Jane said. Just get a tc. It'll put more power completely stock than you may see with your car on a stock motor. And with a tune?? The probe will stand no chance. Even if he has the Klze swap

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
His friends probe is running high 10s low 11s. Sorry guys, even the LNF will need a lot of work to hit that. When I put over 500 at the wheels on my LNF I still only hit mid- low 11s.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
lol @ 10's or 11's.

LOL @ 170.

Probably eighth mile times and in kilometers per hour.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know if I can agree with that, but it will cost a lot of money. It's the same with modifying any car, fast or slow. In the Cobalt's case, it's much cheaper to modify then, say, a Bimmer or something.

I know these cars aren't easily comparable, but just to give you an idea.

Supercharger kit for E92 M3
M3 Tuning | VF Engineering

Supercharger kit for a 2.2/2.4 Cobalt
Chevy Ecotec 2.2 or 2.4 Bolt on Supercharger Kit | ZZPerformance

You could buy a clean SS/TC for the price of some of the M3's kits. Whatever you spend on your little Chevy, there's always someone who'll spend more, just because he has a fancier badge on his hood.
This is truth ^^^^You guys are talking about my world now...the M3 E92 is not a car to modify really....its got bearing and connecting rod clearance issues and the naturally aspirated S65 engine failures are stacking up due to supercharging etc. The engine is a 25k engine so if you blow it your fugged...ITs got 414 HP so the need to modify is not really necessary IMOP with the dual clutch transmission the transitions are so fast its crazy......intake doesn't do anything exhaust can make a difference but taking out the primary cats throws CELs and defoulers wont work you need to tune them out... what does that mean? Mother BMW will know your modifying and if you blow your engine...and they see CEL have been tuned out... void your warranty then your up shiz creek w/out a paddle. The MSS60 engine control unit is capable of millions of calculations per second and some think that if they tune it then put it back to stock ..mother BMW wont be able to tell...but the key itself carries data and the service techs at BMW can pull up everything on the car with just the key so I seriously doubt they can hide it...gotta keep the warranty...so more cost on extended warranties...2,500 just for that..
Cost is sick too....axel back exhausts run 2k.. used if your lucky 1.2k. Akrapovic rear axel exhaust runs you approximately 3,800! Front splitter 1k, rear diffuser 1k, BMW oem upgraded performance spoiler 450 bucks..all don't add performance but make it look totally killer...
The crappy thing is you cannot buy a service tech manual ....you can buy a dvd but its utter crap and only for the 2008 M3....hard to use and limited data...So your on your own no torque specs no assembly or disassembly....German technology ...cost...its not a fun car to risk nor to work on ....but its fast...Its a super fast car running 12.3 to 12.5 quarter mile stock...with the DCT transmission.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
M3's and similar cars are in another league of tuning than our cars. Sport compacts are a good base for tuning because of low cost, common parts and customer's needs for more power as most of these cars are low to moderately powered from the factory.

Once you get into the serious sports cars, then the game changes. Higher costs due to lower production of higher grade parts. Not that they can't be built however, it just takes deeper pockets.

check out the 1800hp TT Lambos on YouTube. Those weren't built on a shoestring budget from a guy in a shed.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Sounds like an m3 is a pos. Wish I could say that was a surprise. Meanwhile the big 3 keep pumping out high HP cars that work mint :)

Shelby mustang
Z28 camaro
Challenger srt8
Corvette

The list is never ending

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.