Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! Drove from Toledo to Atlanta on Wednesday for a business conference, and the Cobalt got 42.9 mpg on the way down! Way to go!

Not bad for a 2005 with now over 100,000 miles on her and auto trans.

·
Registered
142 Posts
42.9? i wish i could have got that on my other trip i took to dallas.

The most i've ever gotten was 38.2 with my curise controll on

·
Registered
142 Posts
sometimes you have to reset your MPG on your dash. just press and hold the enter button before you go on a trip.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
okay ill do that tmrw before work. I average moving (according to garmin about 37 mph) so ill see what it does the 'balt says over all i do like 24 mph. How much mpg can like a cai add on average? what about like a K&N drop in?

Snake890217 added 1 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

a_boy did you use premium gas? can it affect it that much?

·
Registered
142 Posts
you can reset your MPH too, its just an average on how fast you go since the last time you've reset it.

i'm really not sure about the cai or the drop in, supposely it adds about 2-3 mpg
all i have is an exhast and i could tell the difference in my milage that is was about 3mpg better on average. but i have a lead foot so it evens out lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
most ive ever been able to get is 32mpg....i have a fujita intake,SS downpipe with custom 2 1/4 inch exhaust with a magnaflow street muffler.. idk how people get so high in mpg...must depend on when the car was made or sumtin

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ive gotten about 42 mpg i think was the best, with cruise control on at 65 mph. Reset you mpg while at the cruising speed and it will tell you what ur gettin at that moment. keep in mind also when figuring out mpg starting your car uses just about as much gas a letting your car idle for 30 mins. it takes alot to start the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a_boy did you use premium gas? can it affect it that much?
Nope, regular all the time, and the car's stock with no mods...just regular oil changes when the DIC says to and normal tire rotation/balance/alignment...mind you, the drive was with cruise on and staying as close to 65 mph as possible...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nope, regular all the time, and the car's stock with no mods...just regular oil changes when the DIC says to and normal tire rotation/balance/alignment...mind you, the drive was with cruise on and staying as close to 65 mph as possible...
it should be spot on 65mph with cruise:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
@ 65 I get about 43, i just did the airbox mod, synthetic oil, and better plugs. also howyou drive affects it alot too, you drive like grandma, you get great mpg, you drive like speed racer, you get bad mpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
At highway speed, mileage is all about relative air speed. Air resistance increases with the cube of speed. In other words, if at 55 you say you have 100 units of air resistance, at 70, it'll be 206. At 80 it'll be 307. Or, if you're driving 65mph into wind that averages 10mph, it's almost like you're going 75 (giving you a fictitious air resistance value of 254).

·
Registered
142 Posts
:eek:

alittle bit over my head lmao

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ 65 I get about 43, i just did the airbox mod, synthetic oil, and better plugs. also howyou drive affects it alot too, you drive like grandma, you get great mpg, you drive like speed racer, you get bad mpg
Well, with gas prices being what they are, driving like grandma makes a lot of sense to us poor people!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.