Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I hate having wiring exposed, and am in the process of hardmounting my radar detector. I want to wire in a cig. outlet under the dash to have it plugged in all the time since i hid all the other wires. Where on the fusebox is going to be the best place to tap into, so that it only gets power when the car is running?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good how-to man. and will that still work? I'm thinking of wiring an outlet under teh dashboard so if i had to i could still unplug mine and take it out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good how-to man. and will that still work? I'm thinking of wiring an outlet under teh dashboard so if i had to i could still unplug mine and take it out.
yea you can wire an outlet up to an add-a-fuse in slot 12 or 21 that way you can unplug your detector when you want. just wire positive to the add-a-fuse and then run a wire to the ground nut and you're set.

for my purposes i unplug my detector and the cord hangs down behind my rear view mirror, so i just loop it around the post for the mirror and it stays out of sight

·
Registered
197 Posts
see i dont want to have to be unplugging anything. i guess i may just wire in a switch.
if you use slot 12 or 21 it will turn off when your car turns off, there will be no need for a switch

EDIT: i unplug my radar detector when i'm parked in my dorm parking out at college because the last thing i want is someone to bust in my window to steal my radar

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
my neons are hooked up to one of the fuses that only has power when the car is on. But i forgot which one it is, im in class now though. ill take pictures tomorrow for you.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Sunroof slot is commonly used. I have my V1 tapped into my sunroof fuse slot and it is affected by the RAP feature, so it fires up when I turn my car on, and turns off when I open my door after shutting the car off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.