Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the best speakers money can buy. Music quality is huge and I'm sick of blowing speakers out. I went to my local Best Buy and their most expensive speakers were some Alpines for $150. :notrust: What is the best brand of speakers, and how much do they run?

Also, is it possible to just buy speakers and install them, and then later down the road add an amp, sub, and headunit if I want? You don't need an amp for speakers, correct?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
the real problem of using aftermarket nice speakers on stock deck comes in the form of lacking volume. my pops thought he'd match me, he threw some nice speaks in my mom's balt thinking he would get more clarity and volume. While yes they sound good, the stock decks amp can't hardly push them.

always something to keep in mind when upgrading.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have an ALL Kenwood audio system and it sounds awesome!!!! Alpines are way overpriced.......Pioneer is crap....Sony is crap.......go on Sonicelectronix.com and look for speakers and reviews and you will choose Kenwood they are the best in my opinion!!!..............Headunits process sound more refined and detailed if your gonna get speakers get an amp and headunit or your wasting time and efforts

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't have any sound work in my cobalt just yet but my 86' trans am has
a custom box
2 6x9 alpine type "s"
2 pioneer 4x6
a alpine mono amp
2 alpine 12 inch subs
and a cheepie walmart cap
all run with monster cable wires..... sounds good...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help! Everyone agrees that if I'm going to buy speakers I should plan on buying a headunit along with it. As for Kenwood and Alpine, Kenwood is actually the better speakers even though Alpine costs more? It's really hard to tell at a display in a department store. Partly because half of them are blown out and you never know if they rig them. Also, id it ok to mix and match speakers and headunits? Like if I bought Kenwood speakers can I buy a Sony headunit or should I keep same brands?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Keep the same brands you will notice the difference.........go with kenwood all the way.....look at sonicelectronix.com they have awesome prices and everything you need!!!!......

·
Registered
455 Posts
i have a pioneer in-dash double din head unit and i love it, no problems at all. i'd definitely recommend them for the head unit

·
Registered
618 Posts
kenwood exceeds pioneer easily they are clearer and sound better i have a dbl din dvd kenwood feels like im at the movies clear pic and sound pioneer is dull and bad sound

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
PIONEER!

nuff said.

Butg seriously, i think they are the best speakers honestly, and they arnt the most expensive either.

·
Registered
455 Posts
idk what your talking about jdbalt. my pioneer has a great picture, just as good if not better then my friends kenwood. i only have stock speakers so kenwood might be better. but the picture quality and response on my head unit is amazing.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Go to best buy or any audio room and check it out. They let you play all the different type of speakers and subs, see what you think sounds best. I spent alot of time decideing on mine. Money was not an issue and i ended up with pioneers.

·
Registered
618 Posts
idk what your talking about jdbalt. my pioneer has a great picture, just as good if not better then my friends kenwood. i only have stock speakers so kenwood might be better. but the picture quality and response on my head unit is amazing.
trust me I have had and installed lots of stereos and pioneer is a "Consumer Product" while Kenwood is a competition product.......thats why pioneer is so cheap! If you have heard enough music through pioneer units vs kenwood units....kenwood wins hands down.......but hey if you want to waste money then buy pioneer.....:noworry:

·
Registered
455 Posts
and if the last couple posts tell you anything, its that everything comes down to personal preference and choice lol. i love my pioneer, jdbalt loves his kenwood, so you just gotta go check it all out for yourself.

·
Registered
618 Posts
and if the last couple posts tell you anything, its that everything comes down to personal preference and choice lol. i love my pioneer, jdbalt loves his kenwood, so you just gotta go check it all out for yourself.
That I DO agree with......Pioneer does make good stuff I feel Kenwood "Sound Better"..........its all preference like he said......dont go to best buy cuz they suck go to stereo shops they have better quality setups.......best buy carries only low grade speakers..........FOR GOODNESS SAKE DONT BUY ANYTHING SONY OR JVC

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the help! Everyone agrees that if I'm going to buy speakers I should plan on buying a headunit along with it. As for Kenwood and Alpine, Kenwood is actually the better speakers even though Alpine costs more? It's really hard to tell at a display in a department store. Partly because half of them are blown out and you never know if they rig them. Also, id it ok to mix and match speakers and headunits? Like if I bought Kenwood speakers can I buy a Sony headunit or should I keep same brands?
the only speakers you should ever buy is kicker! i love kickers kicker everything i had 3 kicker comps in my old car and shattered the winsheild listening to bone thugs. ever since then i wouldnt buy any thing else. their door speakers also have redicules highs

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, another question. Is blown out speakers a result of playing them louder than they can handle or do speakers just wear down over time? Obviously dealer speakers are crap and can't handle any sort of volume, and I ended up blowing out my right door speaker. I just wasn't sure what the cause of it is. I heard when you first turn on your car and the speakers are insanely high off the bat that can blow them, especially in cold weather. You're supposed to start low and turn it up. That's what I HEARD anyway. Will better quality speakers not blow so freakin' easily?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.