Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well this is a problem for me... when i come to a stop light or stop sign sometimes ill stall out..i dont know if its becuase im still kinda of neverous or just not used to manual all that much yet.

someone told me i could hold the clutch down half way as long as i feel pressure give it a little gas and go...i did that a few times it worked perfect

and a few other times it stalled me out...now my car idles at about 900-1000 rpm if i put the clutch all the way to the floor and give it gas it takes to ****ing long to get my car going..

can someone give me tips or advice on how they mastered this ?

( im sick of stalling lol ) its not like i stall 10 times a day maybe 1-2 times a day but still its embrassing lol

07 cobalt ss s/c

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you !

·
Registered
4 Posts
when i first started driving stick i would get nervous and stall sometimes. easiest way to get going is to pop the clutch:bigsmile: a little trick is u can let the clutch out very slowly and the car will start to go withopout any gas. this is helpful in traffic. once u get the hang of driving stick u will almost never stall out as ur foot will be trained to give more gas or push the clutch without even thinking about it. u just need some practice. go to a parking loot and practice stopping and going.

·
Registered
143 Posts
when i first started driving stick i would get nervous and stall sometimes. easiest way to get going is to pop the clutch:bigsmile: a little trick is u can let the clutch out very slowly and the car will start to go withopout any gas. this is helpful in traffic. once u get the hang of driving stick u will almost never stall out as ur foot will be trained to give more gas or push the clutch without even thinking about it. u just need some practice. go to a parking loot and practice stopping and going.
When I drove my dad's ~1989 S10 He told me when coming to a complete stop pull the shifter in to neutral and you don't have to hold down the clutch to do this. Though If it was me and I was coming up to a light and not a stop sign I would coast when I could see the red light, or if its green speed up. Though I don't drive manuals usually and I stalled out on a highway:laugh: Not fun.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thank you for the help guys. ya im getting the hang of it pretty good...its just sometimes my nervs kick in...or i give it to much gas or let the clutch out to soon....i think ill go to a parking lot this weekend and try it.

any i info helps...its just hard getting used to is all..sometimes i can find the sweet spot and go sometimes i stall......ive never tried to just let the clutch out without giving it gas. i was always told after coming to a stop i had to give it the gas and clutch to go...but what ur saying is i can have it in first let the clutch out and roll...once i feel it start to roll then give it a little gas ? and ill be ok

·
Registered
4 Posts
what i was trying to say is if ur sitting in stop and go traffic and need to move up couple feet at a time u can let the clutch out slowly and it will go without any gas.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
someone told me i could hold the clutch down half way as long as i feel pressure give it a little gas and go...i did that a few times it worked perfect
You prolly know this, but just make sure you are not using the clutch and gas to hold your car on a hill. If you do, you'll be replacing your clutch pretty soon.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank u for the info Will ya no hills around here all flat so im ok in that aspect. im just woundering for a dead stop a stop sgin how can i get it to go with out stalling but not taking 5 mins to rev it up right and go lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank u for the words of encouragement ! every little bit helps...its just embrassing sometimes lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
It happens to all of us. Nobody is born knowing how to drive a manual. Once you get the hang of where your friction point is, you'll have no problem with the timing and coordination of your two feet. The last time I drove a stick was when I was 16. My Cobalt is a 5-speed and the first manual I drove since then. It took me a while to get used to it again (this included stalling in traffic), but once I got the hang of it, it's like second nature and you don't even think about what your feet are doing. Good luck. You'll get it!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
it takes a bit of work to get used to the balt. Hell, my dad's 69 camaro is easier lol. just keep practicing letting the clutch out and giving it gas

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It doesn't help you're starting on a SS either. The clutch in the SS is not nearly as friendly as the one in the LS/LT.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks again for the help guys. i takin her to an empty parking lot this weekend just so i can learn the sweet spot a bit better. sometimes i can nail ir other times i cant. well the ss being my first car ever manual. i got the hang out how to do it in 3 days and kept getting better..my only recuring problem is stop sgins or being a red light..so only problem = stall FTL sometimes lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
thanks again for the help guys. i takin her to an empty parking lot this weekend just so i can learn the sweet spot a bit better. sometimes i can nail ir other times i cant. well the ss being my first car ever manual. i got the hang out how to do it in 3 days and kept getting better..my only recuring problem is stop sgins or being a red light..so only problem = stall FTL sometimes lol
Pull it in to Neutral when you come up to a stop sign or a Red light, or else you will stall, There is no gas going to the engine so it dies. I recommend practice though you probably are already better than me at Manuals. The Parking lot Idea maybe good for Shifting in to first and second but shifting in to a high gear when you are not going fast enough puts strain in the engine and will wear it down. Try a residential street with a bunch of stop signs, Thats what I did on my second time driving a standard. Good luck, I wish my cobalt was a manual:cry:.
I'll Trade ya :laugh:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmm...id have to a not afford my car or b be really drunk to consider giving her up lol.

so thats true ur soupose to put it in netrual ? i had u can but i wa thought to leave it in first gear even stoped...i see what ur saying though

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

hmmm...id have to a not afford my car or b be really drunk to consider giving her up lol.

so thats true ur soupose to put it in netrual ? i had u can but i wa thought to leave it in first gear even stoped...i see what ur saying though

·
Registered
143 Posts

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Leaving it in first and Pressing down on the clutch will kill your clutch, I was driving and If you hold it down at all it slows the car down and you can feel resistance. In my dad's truck S10 ~1989 he said pull it in to neutral or else you will burn up your clutch by holding in the clutch, because it spins. I asked him after I saw this forum a couple days ago. You don't need to push it in, in my dad's truck, the clutch to put in to neutral just a firm pull though they could be different don't quote me and if it does not come along after a firm pull push in the clutch, and put it in neutral.

Though XFE should look over what I had said and tell me I misunderstood or something like that because I am no expert, Its just in the 2 or so hours I spend last weekend in my dad's truck, he was coaching me ..... by yelling :laugh:. And he has been driving it for a long time and it still runs awesome, He did have to install a new starter though after so many years it makes sense though.

If you have any questions post them because I'm logging off soon and some of my writing may have been hard to understand because of grammatical and spelling errors.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i dont do this but my buddy does...he usually feathers the gas while letting off the clutch slowly..by feather i mean he keeps tapping in lightly and quickly....when i first started driving i stalled it a couple times...my problem was i would run the engine too high and slowly let off the clutch...i smoked my clutch 3 weeks after getting the car...most of that was because the ass who had the car before me ran the hell out of it and it was getting ready to go when i got it....ill usually hit the gas once as im letting the clutch out and then just press the gas as need to keep the RPMs at a bout 1000-1500...depending on whether i am on a local street or on a main road or highway...its not hard at all once you get the hang of it...just make sure you dont get nervous on a hill and rev the engine to much then let off the clutch fast..you'll burn tire and your clutch...lol...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.