Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to a new area and cannot do auto repairs in my apt complex so I went to the local Wal Mart TLE to get the oil change done. After waiting 1/1/2 hours to even get the truck into the bay(only 2 cars were ahead of me). They completed the oil change and out the door, next day and 30 miles later I smell an awful burning oil smell, I was going to the Wal Mart for groceries anyway and get out of the turck and still smell the oil, I look under the truck and it is leaking. I take it right back to TLE and found out the tech didnt remove the old oil filter gasket.
Well, it is now 23 Apr and I am still smelling burning oil and the truck is marking its spot at the apt and at work, I take it to another oil change place(for "professional" backup) and they had to muscle the filter off and found out that the techs at Wal mart put a wrench to the nut on the adapter plate, when they start the truck up it is leaking worse than ever, the techs at Wal mart over tightened the filter both times and the end result is the gasket behind the adapter plate is trashed and it is leaking so bad I canot drive the truck.
Now I am waiting on them to file the claim which they didnt do yesterday to get money for the repairs and the cleanup o f my parking spot at the apts.
the TLE boss was rude and kept saying his people knew better and wouldnt do that. The truck has a rebuilt Groom's engine that is only 14 months and 14K miles old, Wal mart kept saying its a completely different motor that what should be in the truck or that is is a 135K motor.
So long story short BEWARE Wal Mart TLE, it could be dangerous to your cars. I have caught them with the Cobalt not changing the oil filter when they said they did.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I went to one near my house with my wifes Camry to get some new tires installed. They broke her wheels by not knowing how to get the cover over the lug nuts off and then tried to hide it by placing the cover on incorrectly again to close the crack. I took it to the manager and he was also rude. After telling them that I will file a lawsuit against them and talking VERY loudly about how horrible they were, they ended up buying new covers from the wheel manufacturer for her.
I will NEVER take a vehicle back to ANY WalMart.
Thank god I have a place to work on my car - you can never trust anyone to work on your vehicle except yourself or someone you know and trust.
Best of luck to you my friend.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

thats why they work at walmart
Agree

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True I think I will pay to use the facilities on post and pay extra to do myself again so I know its done right. I did find a good shop that I do trust right by my place that is going to do the work. They have been good to me so far and have good people there, and I can leave it and walk back to my apt.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Even here in Canada...techs at Wal-mart don't give a shiit. they hire kids, fresh out, cheapest labor they can find, who don't really care about your car at all, and don't have much experience in the field. I wouldn't take my car to a Wal-mart bottom line. Sucks to hear that though, hope your claim gets all fixed up!!!

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I could have told you that about any walmart express lube place before you ever went there in the first place lol.

the Walmart near me put the wrong oil filter on a pontiac vibe one time. well the lady was driving the car and the oil filter blew right off the engine and toasted it. She had the car dropped off at the chevy dealer I work at and we had to replace the whole motor and Walmart payed for it. hahahahaahahahahahhaa

·
Registered
866 Posts
I could have told you that about any walmart express lube place before you ever went there in the first place lol.

the Walmart near me put the wrong oil filter on a pontiac vibe one time. well the lady was driving the car and the oil filter blew right off the engine and toasted it. She had the car dropped off at the chevy dealer I work at and we had to replace the whole motor and Walmart payed for it. hahahahaahahahahahhaa
wow.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Moral of story, take your car to shops with certified techs and not some place that has Only high school/college kids working there. Tires plus is another place I would never go to when it comes to local shops around here. or mobile 1 express lube either. it's a bunch of back yard bandits and punk kids that don't care about their job because it's a dead end job with no future career opportunities. I am not saying that the dealer is the only place you should go either. just have to make sure you do your homework on who works at the place you go to. there are lots of small shops around me that have excellent service and good reputations.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Think of the walmart place like a Jiffy Lube: epic failure.

Anyways, I've always done my own oil changes in the street since my driveway is gravel. I don't let anyone change my car's oil except me... especially now that I have the LSJ since it requires more oil than most people try to put into it.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Think of the walmart place like a Jiffy Lube: epic failure.

Anyways, I've always done my own oil changes in the street since my driveway is gravel. I don't let anyone change my car's oil except me... especially now that I have the LSJ since it requires more oil than most people try to put into it.
this

and this

I have done all of my own oil changes on every vehicle I've owned for the past 11 years. That way I know that everything has been done the correct way.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
didnt read but beware of any quick lube place... pay the money out the ass for the dealer or do it yourself. Those are you safest bets, the dealer can screw up too but I would trust them more than a quick lube. That is the reason I got my cavalier back and had to rebuild the motor, the quick lube place did not tighten oil filter down enough. I have heard countless "horror" stories involving quick lubes.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, I just cant do it front of my apr, from now on I will use the post auto craft shop and pay the extra money to make sure its done right. Actually probably be same amount since I can buy the good stuff to put in the engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
man all the horror stories you guys are telling, i have seen them at the walmart here i work at. and as a service tech, please people, do your own work....period. and of course i am one of those college kids that work there, and of course i do all of my own work on my cobalt and my 81 c10. but i would like to try and defend some of us, we are not all complete effin morons. here is one to think about after you read this...how can a guy break a steel drain plug IN an aluminum oil pan on a tahoe, cost the store over 2 grand in a claim because the customer needed a rental car for a vacation, and best of all.....the guy didnt get in trouble because "he wasnt even using all his strength with the torque wrench." man i cant wait to finish and have my a&p license.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.