Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my pan today to change the filter and fluid and have two big issues that have cropped up.

First, while putting things back together, the bolt in the back driver side of the pan seems to have stripped somehow. It wouldnt tighten and came out with metal in the threads. If my next problem is fixable, how serious is this one in terms of leaks and such? I replaced the gasket with a new oem one as well. Also, how crazy of a job would it be to have that repaired by someone since its a bit beyond my ability?

Second, it seems like the pan may have warped while I was draining the fluid. I loosened the back bolts to let the fluid slowly drain out and I think it may have put some presure on the thinner front part because it is not laying flush with the gasket even after things have been properly torqued. (89 in-lbs) Is there a chance I can just use a rubber mallet to get it flat again or should I just find a local shop with a replacement pan?

I havent added the new fluid yet since it seems it would just leak out.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Here you can see the front part that isnt flush at all.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Heres a better pic as well as one of the bolt as is

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

My haynes manual says to torque tran pan bolts to 124inlbs, not 89 like the video i was referencing said, so I retorqued them.

I also lightly hammered the pan while on a flat surface to try and bend the pan back. It seems to have helped a little, but Im still worried.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It'S 89 in-pounds according to the GM server.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently had it up on 4 jack stands and filled it to the perfect level, so I just took as close to the amount that drained out and put that much fresh fluid in. After starting it up and letting it idle for a few, I cycled through the gears slowly and everything seemed fine.

After a few trips around the local neighborhood, I came back home and let it sit while off to see if it leaked as the fluid drained back into the pan. So far, no leaks are showing, so I think Im ok. My torque wrench is pretty cheap, so Im probably most likely between 89 and 124 inlbs.

As far as the stripped bolt goes. How serious of a job would having that repaired be, you think?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Cast aluminuim would mean drill tap and helicoil. $5 maybe if you know the guy.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know anyone off hand, but theres a couple small shops around here that Ive had random work done at before and got a fair price.

Will the pan need to be dropped again? If so, im hoping they can save the fluid since its brand new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might take that bolt to a hardware store (Home Depot, Ace, etc) and figure out what the thread size and pitch is (there are these labeled guides by the nut and bolt section that you can thread your bolt into to figure out what yours is). Anyway, figure out what your bolt is and find one that is slightly longer (they usually come in packs of 3 or 4).

Find one that is half an inch or so longer, and see if that will thread up into the hole and tighten down. Those bolt holes are usually deeper than the bolts are long, you may get lucky. I've done this on several occasions, here recently when I stripped the bolt hole on a Mercedes E320 transmission pan lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.