Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm putting a custom 3 way component set in the front and I wanna know if any one has gone above the 6.5 inch speaker ... Thinking a 7 or 8 in the door with out any fibreglass work

·
Registered
267 Posts
waiting on some 5.5 to replace the upper front ones....
make sure ya have enough back space behind the panel for the speaker
I was lucky enough and my stereo shop let me try before buy...

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

nope ya can't go much bigger then that 5.5 in the factory place....to close to the edge and you'd be cutting into the door glove box....I want to go bigger also....had to some cutting just to put the 5.5 in......

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

and there's some door plastic door panel pins right, there if I remember....2 of them right there don't want cut those out...

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

and the 5.5 to me are too big
they stick out of the factory curved edge just a tad bit...
used a drumell tool to cut the spot out no fiber glass just factory panel...

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

to me components are over rated for the price..
ya can get a crossover for half/quarter the price of those..yet there good but overly priced for me and its about the same thing.....

·
Registered
353 Posts
There's really no need to go bigger than 6.5 IMO. Get high quality speakers instead.

·
Registered
267 Posts
8 are great for mids.... But to small for subs...6 are good but just don't quite get the range....there an in between speaker
listeners preference.....

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Yeah high quality speaker money well spent.....or upper mid range....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the 6.5s i have now olny go down to 100-90 hz and i dont like my sub crossed that high so im looking to get 60 hz in the doors

·
Registered
267 Posts
Get a filter instead for the subs....and that's about the Hz range ya want...lower your going into the mid and bass range then..and missing the crispiness of the music...
I maybe wrong it's been a bit since I tinkered with the amps crossovers...
I think I'm at 60-120hz for highs and 33hz for the lows...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.