Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried black colored rotors I found them on Amazon thought they might be better against rust

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
The whole rotor is black? I've seen that before - the black stays on the edge of the rotor, the hat - anywhere the pads don't contact.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Both sets of my EBC rotors came coated black. MP81 is right though, it pretty much stays everywhere the pads don't touch. If i remember right, Zinc coated rotors are also better against rust so it will protect the same areas as the black coating.

·
Registered
949 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Odd, it tells me they fit mine (which I know, since I have them).
Maybe they don't have accurate wheel hub information for the later model Cobalts? Like, maybe they're expecting that all 2010 Cobalt LTs have 5 lug hubs, but really only the 2LT had 5 lugs.

·
Registered
491 Posts
[B]Black brake rotor mix[/B]

I have some low cost black rotors and drum brakes.

1 clean with soap & water.. use a spray washer such as the local car wash or pressure washer if you have.
2 soak the rotors or drums in phosphoric acid. You can get this at your local hardware store or feed & grain....
Homedespot or Bows (also called The Orange warehouse or The Blue warehouse). Or just use Coca-Cola...
3 Rinse with clean water and air dry...for rapid drying, coat with 90% isopropyl alcohol ( rubbing alcohol ). See Note

Note:Do Not the drinking kind for this step...that would be alcohol abuse and we dont want that...:cheers:

Final
Next coat each part With...

Black brake rotor mix

Now for that slick shine. Coat each part with a little Water Displacement-40.
It will not last long or degrade your braking but makes it look professional until road grime does its work.
Or just a quick coat of deisel, or kerosene, or lamp oil.
Just wipe the brake shoe surface or pad surface with a little brake clean/ degreaser before installing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.