Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can i get a black bowtie for the front of my 07 cobalt? i cant find them anywhere, they only sell 08-up. I was going to just paint it but im afraid it wont turn out looking nice

·
Registered
199 Posts
if you want it to look good use sand paper to scuff it up,then put a couple coats of enamel black paint, and then when it dries u can put on a couple coats of clear coat, make sure to tape of the chrome if you want the chrome accent

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

oh and be sure to take the bow tie off your grill from behind while the hood is up, i think its one or two screws holding it

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
paint it with plastidip, you can use it as a base or just on it's own either way if you don't like it it will peel right off
This is what I would do too. Much less hassle. And yes two 10mm nuts behind the grill. Post up pics when you're done.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I did mine while I was tinting my tails. got boerd waiting for paint to dry, ripped it off sanded it down and sprayed it with the tint. Amazed that it worked!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. im gunna try to get it done soon, im tired of the normal gold look. and ill post pics if it turns out good!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yea, the gold doesn't really look good on any color car... not even gold. Thanks Chevy, for picking the ugliest possible color to put on every single car you make.

But "on the real", I'm guessing the bowtie on the trunk is glued on?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yeah it peels off just like the lettering and the door trim pieces.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So if I wanted that to be black I'd have to peel it off, paint it, find some type of automotive glue, and reapply... Yeah I think it's just gonna come off.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable taping off the trunk. It comes off so easy, you can probably just use an adhesive putty to put back on if you really want. I just took it all off. The front one is bolted on with two nuts behind the grille.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
just as padlock said, mask the front area off and paint over it with a color and clear coat and you'll be good.
Well the front one is mounted with just 2 speed nuts that take about 3 seconds to remove, then your sure you don't have any overspray.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Well the front one is mounted with just 2 speed nuts that take about 3 seconds to remove, then your sure you don't have any overspray.
Yup and I tapes off the chrome with tape and a razor blade and magnifine glass to make sure all of the chrome was tapped off.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable taping off the trunk. It comes off so easy, you can probably just use an adhesive putty to put back on if you really want. I just took it all off. The front one is bolted on with two nuts behind the grille.
yea i definately removed my front one when I painted it, but as far as the rear its way more of a PITA removing it with all that sticky junky adhesive then trying to reattach it (with an adhesive you HOPE works) so it lines up perfect. Taping off the rear is way easier and takes way less time, you just gotta basically take some old newspaper and cover the whole rear end of your car. takes like 2 minutes max to mask off everything... then when your done just take off the newspaper and DONE.. no re-positioning of bowtie needed

with all that said though, on my SS I decided to remove the rear bowtie for a cleaner look.

^would recommend this for the front bowtie for sure though!

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

i just redid my front one yesterday

before

after

the glossy black with chrome around blends in with the retros more

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.