Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Have you thought about painting the insides of your headlights black?
that would look sick with your blacked out grills

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yeah its easy.. you have already had a ton of practice painting your trim. the hardest part is getting the lights apart. When pulling them apart, make sure the glue doesn't get inside the light. its a pain to get off! But with all your black accents I thing black headlights would look great!

Also prepare to spend a good FULL day doing them.. its a slow process

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah its easy.. you have already had a ton of practice painting your trim. the hardest part is getting the lights apart. When pulling them apart, make sure the glue doesn't get inside the light. its a pain to get off! But with all your black accents I thing black headlights would look great!

Ok thanks OBZ! :bigsmile: I always love to keep moding my car (duh!)lol. I am kind of at a stand still right now.

Is the DIY on this forum for painting the headlights legit?

and do I need glue to put the layers back together?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

i did both of mine in like an hour and a half.

Put both of them in the oven for 40 mins. Took em out and pulled em apart. I didnt scrape any of the excess adhesive away, just cleaned off any of the glue that got on the light. Then i taped off the one part, srayed em. Let the paint dry fr 10 mins. Put all the pieces back in the oven, 1 light at a time, for 10 minutes. then take them out, pushed it back together with the adhesive all heated up and your done. I didnt put any exra adhesive around my lights, just used the glue that was already there, and no problems so far. Its been like 3-4 months.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did both of mine in like an hour and a half.

Put both of them in the oven for 40 mins. Took em out and pulled em apart. I didnt scrape any of the excess adhesive away, just cleaned off any of the glue that got on the light. Then i taped off the one part, srayed em. Let the paint dry fr 10 mins. Put all the pieces back in the oven, 1 light at a time, for 10 minutes. then take them out, pushed it back together with the adhesive all heated up and your done. I didnt put any exra adhesive around my lights, just used the glue that was already there, and no problems so far. Its been like 3-4 months.
Ok! Thanks for the help! I hope to do this soon!

Yeah, the how-to on this site is great! when putting them back together, just use a small bead of clear silicone around the seal.
Alrighty! Thanks man, I appreciate the idea! Hopefully I can get on this soon!
Can you tell a big difference?

Oh and Ive got laminex tint on my headlights, you think that will get in the way of the process?

·
Registered
455 Posts
oh yeah you can definitely tell a difference. it looks sick with the black. It'll compliment everything on your ride nice. i would do it but i'm saving money for some 3rd gen halos w/ the black inside

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.