Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my blower motor stopped working and dont have air or heat. I have replaced blower motor blower motor resistor. Connector to both motor and resistor have been replaced. Checked fuses and relay and nothing seems to work. This is the second time it has gone out. First time I replaced resistor and motor connector and it fired right up. Worked about 6 months and went out slowly. Some days it worked and then it didnt. Blew the motor fuse replaced it. Started up. Now it's dead again and I have checked and replaced everything I could think of. Some one help please starting to get frustrated with it. Thanks. Ps also replace the head unit. So I have checked everything. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
575 Posts
What brand have you used? I have a customer with a Mustang that I have probably change those same parts out about 3-4 times in the past 6 years. The first two blower motors were Murray brand. The last one that I installed was a VDO brand. Four Seasons makes Murray, and over the years I’ve found they aren’t great quality lasting parts. The VDO part has not had to be changed again. I did however have to change the connector that went between the resistor and blower motor. Was burned up at the plug.

You may want to check the condition of the connectors. They do sometimes burn up. Also sometimes the wire or plug end will have high resistance and cause it to burn the connectors. Not sure if it is because of becoming damp in the area near the cold ac or what. But it’s not uncommon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have replaced blower motor in passed and resistor worked for 6 months then slowly started not working.one day it work next day it dont. Replaced fuse 30 amp one under hood worked for couple days then stopped. I have replaced basically everything that has to do with that system with no luck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Have you inspected the wiring? The connectors often times may overheat and cause loss of contact.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you inspected the wiring? The connectors often times may overheat and cause loss of contact.
I also have a 06 Cobalt LT. When I bought it they told me the a/c didn’t work. We could tell the a/c worked but didn’t blow in the cabin. The fan switch was broken and wouldn’t change the fan speeds and it felt as though the switch stem inside was seized when trying to turn it with needle nose pliers. Then one day it started blowing on low. I realized it was not the blower motor then and decided to purchase a new temperature control unit. When we pulled the old one we could see it was burned at the switch connector and the H(red) wire was burned in a larger section than the others and if we moved the wires the fan would turn on so I am assuming a short and or too much resistance. How should it measure on an ohms meter? Is there any other places I should check for the culprit. I am getting a new resistor and wiring harness and cabin air filter and I may need a new switch as well because it may be too melted to unclip from the old temperature control unit. Thank you for your help!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having problems with the blower motor, and resistor. I replaced both, and now works as it should.
In the process, I found water in the motor, and the resistor. Took out the cabin filter, and it was wet as well, with dampness on floor mat too. I took off the right wiper arm and pulled the plastic cowl shield out of the way and found that the cover for the blower box was out of place (black piece of rubber) You could see the cabin filter from there, big hole for water to get into. So I cleaned it up, re-sealed it with some silicon and used some waterproof tape around the perimeter. That solved the issue, and I know that the water intrusion was the cause of failure, and after seeing how flimsy the water deflector is, that would be worth looking into. I would recommend getting a wiper arm puller, they are on there pretty good, and you don't want to be too forceful with prying or hammering that close to the windshield. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts