Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with the 40a BCM fuse. When I turn my aftermarket stereo up all the way it will pop the fuse sometimes. My car will shut off completely with the key still turned. Luckily it hasn't happened while driving. It seems pretty random though, as it will be fine some of the time before any trouble. It only happens when the stereo is all the way up, not half way or anything else. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Which fuse did you tap off of to supply your radio? What kind of wattage are you pushing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which fuse did you tap off of to supply your radio? What kind of wattage are you pushing?
I've tried several fuses. I originally was tapped into the wiper fuse and I figured since it's part of the BCM that's why it was blowing but I've tried some from the fuse box under the hood and to no avail. It's on the IP IGN fuse currently. I have 18,000 watts on tap. Yes that's not a typo lol. 18,000 :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Wattage=voltage*amperage. A 40 amp fuse can only supply 500 Watts total. You will need to tap the battery direct with a 150 amp fuse.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

May even need a bigger alternator and a second battery

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've tried several fuses. I originally was tapped into the wiper fuse and I figured since it's part of the BCM that's why it was blowing but I've tried some from the fuse box under the hood and to no avail. It's on the IP IGN fuse currently. I have 18,000 watts on tap. Yes that's not a typo lol. 18,000 :)
18,000 WATTS??? Good GRIEF!
PICS PLZZZZZZZZZZZ????:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wattage=voltage*amperage. A 40 amp fuse can only supply 500 Watts total. You will need to tap the battery direct with a 150 amp fuse.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

May even need a bigger alternator and a second battery
Thanks for your replies. I still don't see why the bcm fuse would be blowing though. It shouldn't be trying to supply a bunch of power like that should it? I have a 320 amp alternator. Five XS Power XP 3000 batteries along with two new Lithium ion XS Power batteries.

18,000 WATTS??? Good GRIEF!
PICS PLZZZZZZZZZZZ????:)
Lol. Yes of course! :bigsmile:

The wall being built.

Completed.

Amp rack.

Batteries except for the new lithiums.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Why? And tell you meant 1800 and not 18000

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why? And tell you meant 1800 and not 18000
Nope. I have three 6000 watt amps lol. Could you kindly explain why this fuse keeps blowing too me? I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but I've been trying to fix this for some time now. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Better get yourself checked out. That's 1500 amps at 12 volts @ full power and you're wondering why you are blowing the BCM fuse. I will not participate in this thread any more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better get yourself checked out. That's 1500 amps at 12 volts @ full power and you're wondering why you are blowing the BCM fuse. I will not participate in this thread any more.
If the 40a bcm fuse can only power 500 watts then how does anyone have a system with more than 500 watts? I used to have three 4000s and I was not blowing the fuse until I upgraded to 6ks. No need to hate man. We're all cobalt owners here. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not hating, just not wasting my precious time. If you go to extreme expect extreme.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes take all your power needs from your batteries and leave all GMLan sensors as they are. Make your sound system a stand alone as much as you can and make sure you have good grounds to all your systems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.