Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I decided to leave home early to stop by mcdonald's. I came to a stop at the light right at the corner of my street. When i went to take off, my clutch engaged very hard, as if i almost just dropped the clutch with very little gas. As I went to shift to second, same thing, the gears banged.
I pulled over and then repressed my clutch. At this point my clutch feels empty all the way, no firmness just completely loose all the way to the floor.
At this point I could not engage any gears. All was blocked so I left it in neutral and pushed it to the nearest parking lot where it was then towed to the dealership.

They called me back saying its not a clutch issue but a hydraulic issue with the cylinder.
I am guessing they were referring to the slave cylinder.

My car is a 2010 cobalt lt with 40 000 kms on it.

I just don't understand that this would happen to a basically new car.

My car always drove great but I do have to comment that the last week of driving I noticed a big loss in power, the clutch doesn't grab hard anymore it almost seems as if it's been slipping but its not. Basically it went from a fast little car to feeling like drivign a smart car lol.
I noticed this loss in power immediately after taking off at a light last week,
where there was a lot of gravel and my left tire spun horribly.
Since then, there was a noticable loss in power.

Now my question is if that loss of power would be related to the fact my tires spun at that light ??

And secondly, would fixing the slave cylynder as they are doing going to give me back my original power and clutch grab??

Thanks to all

·
Registered
381 Posts
This isn't clutch slip, it's a hydraulic issue. If the clutch was gone the car would rev freely even when in gear, especially under high load at low rpm (i.e. trying to accelerate on the highway in 5th).

Get the hydraulic issue resolved and it should work fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes you guys were right.
I got my car back today. On the receipt it says they replaced my slave cylinder and my clutch because of worn clutch fibers.
But the tech told me basically that my pump blew and spilled oil all over my clutch.

Regardless they car drives like a dream now, a nice feel in the clutch and consistent engagement. I am driving easy right now to break it in properly bu earlier I decided to give it a little push and did a couple of harder shifts but I am still not feeling the clutch grab as hard as the original clutch>?

maybe its the break-in and it will get better with time.

Over-all though I have to say I am quite impressed with my dealership.
All though these propblems are tipically unheard of in a new car, they never argued with me and are very willing to satisfy their customers and I think thats great.
Thats how it should be but unfortunately not many dealerships are like that from what I hear of

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i guess i spoke too soon.
My clutch is holding fine but now i am getting about half a pedal of freeplay on startup.
After i pump the clutch it seems to get better and i get the firmness back but randomly it will just go back to giving me a crapload of freeplay and bangs the gears no matter how easy i am.

i called the dealership and they said that its a new clutch and has to be broken in but im not buying it because this should not be happening.

basically my engagement point is constantly changing, random freeplay comes and goes.

i searched google and came up with a faulty or leaking master cylinder?

anyway im just pretty upset about this and out of town right now.
So i will check it out on sunday when im back.

thanks for you help guys

frank

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks to everybody for your help and feedback.
If you guys can't tell, well, I'm being extremely sarcastic.

Now I have a feeling what I am about to say is going to get me banned, but I really don't care, I've moved on to another cobalt forum.
The lack of help on this site is just over-whelming.

Now I do seriously want to thank the ones that HAVE replied to my posts, you guys are the kind of people that this forum should have more of.

It's funny, it only takes 2 minutes to post a message. But those 2 minutes could potentially save the thread starter lots of time on his end and could offer him a great deal of help and knowledge.

Since the dealership basically can't answer the simplest question for you, I really on these forums for 99% of my questions, which 99% of the time, don't get answered.

I am not hating on the forum, nor am I hating on the members; I am hating on the lazy bastards that can take a whole day posting pics of their cars, but when it comes to helping others out, its too much to ask.

Now I don't have a whole lot of posts myself, (only 22 i know) but I do post on the questions i know I CAN answer. Basically I have given up on this website. If I knew everything, I litterally would take the time to help everybody.
We all drive the same car, we are a cobalt community.

Good day and I sincerely wish you all the best.

Frank

·
Registered
311 Posts
Frank,

What you're describing to me sounds like an issue with the clutch hydrolics. The hydrolic clutch system and your foot engages the clutch and the fluid level in the system may be low or may have air in the fluid line.

I'm not familiar with the Cobalt hydrolic clutch system but typically there's a master cylinder and a slave cylinder. In this configuration there's typically a bleeder on the slave that allows you (and an assistant) to "bleed" out any trapped aiir.

I'd do some research on google and find out about the clutch hydrolics and see if you think this may be your problem.

You won't break anything trying to bleed the clutch.

Good luck...and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks to everybody for your help and feedback.
If you guys can't tell, well, I'm being extremely sarcastic.

Now I have a feeling what I am about to say is going to get me banned, but I really don't care, I've moved on to another cobalt forum.
The lack of help on this site is just over-whelming.

Now I do seriously want to thank the ones that HAVE replied to my posts, you guys are the kind of people that this forum should have more of.

It's funny, it only takes 2 minutes to post a message. But those 2 minutes could potentially save the thread starter lots of time on his end and could offer him a great deal of help and knowledge.

Since the dealership basically can't answer the simplest question for you, I really on these forums for 99% of my questions, which 99% of the time, don't get answered.

I am not hating on the forum, nor am I hating on the members; I am hating on the lazy bastards that can take a whole day posting pics of their cars, but when it comes to helping others out, its too much to ask.

Now I don't have a whole lot of posts myself, (only 22 i know) but I do post on the questions i know I CAN answer. Basically I have given up on this website. If I knew everything, I litterally would take the time to help everybody.
We all drive the same car, we are a cobalt community.

Good day and I sincerely wish you all the best.

Frank

Two things: 1) YC isn't a high traffic site. Its average posts per day has dropped off significantly ever since the ownership change. 2) Sometimes, if someone doesn't really know what is going on, they're probably not going to try and offer potentially bad advice. Generally, that is why it is a good idea to crosspost between several different sites and then see what you get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.