Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is not a done deal yet, but as few of you may remember my cobalt was totaled and I'm on the look for a new car (Still waiting on the money from de insurance lol) and I have 2 Options in mind

Pictures are of the actual cars I have on mind and the exact price

The so amazing Evo X GSR

And this amazing luxury beauty 335 I Sedan

Now reason why I choosed those 2 styles ?
I need a 4 door car and I need to be able to ensure all family comes in LOL ME, the wife and 3 kids

Drivetrain
Evo X GSR $24,999 BMW 335i Sedan $27,455
291hp I4 Engine 300hp I6
Gasoline/MPFI Fuel System Gasoline/EFI
291 @6500 Peak Power (hp/RPM) 300 @5800
300 @4000 Peak Torque (ft-lbs/RPM) 300 @1400
1998 Displacement (cc) 2979
3.4Bore (in) 3.31
3.4 Stroke (in) 3.53
DOHC Valvetrain DOHC
9.0:1 Compression Ratio 10.2:1
5-speed MT Transmission 6-speed AT
17 City Economy 17
23 Highway Economy 26

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
At a glance I would say BMW. But my race gut tells me you will be much happier with the evo!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
BMW parts and maintenance costs a lot. That's why I went with a new cobalt over a used BMW. Not sure about Mitsubishi parts. but that's the only thing that would sway me from a BMW.... ask leveecius about Mitsubishi maintenance and parts prices. (My bad if spelled wrong)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nobody, and i mean nobody has considered a Cobalt over a BMW. thats like comparing apples to dark chocolate, not even the same part of the pyramid.

i agree Maint. on a BMW gets pricey. have you looked into like a G8 GT or GXP? comfort and performance. while having the ease of parts replacement of a GM with an LS Powerplant

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Get the Bmw. Drive in comfort while looking good.

You can thank me when you get it

·
Registered
16 Posts
The BMW can be made quite fast for minor mods, I have ran a full bolt on one (e85 tune, downpipe, clutch, intake, etc.) on high boost vs. my Camaro (99 Z28 that makes 470whp) and I probably put about 5 cars on him 40-100ish...but then again I do about the same to 600 rockets, so they can definitely be made fast. I personally would rather have the evo though. Much more mod-ability, AWD, stick, etc. etc.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Labor and parts cost is what really worries me on the BMW one since I saw the Vargas and is a 1 owner with ALL the services done on time so pretty much is been really good taken care off... On the EVO it has few aftermarket parts which may seem good but worries me if are good or cheap aftermarket since it doesn't specify ;/ .... I'm more towards the BMW than the Evo oh and I don't mind being automatic since it has the "semi-manual" thing with the shifters (I put it that words so you don't thing I'm just talking crap by using big words lol)
And my girlfriend hates Stick lol I know you guys couldn't care less about my last comment but yeah lol.... I mean the 335I is Twin turbo with 300hp and 300 torque STOCK I know it can be faster by modding it but being honest which ever I get I'm NOT doing any MODs to it until like 1 year from now AT LEAST lol I won't put money in it until is actually mine (paid off) I have the feeling that I can do more (power wise) with the Evo but as many here stated

DRIVE COMFORTABLE, CLASSY... And have performance :) I guess is all in one package?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
BMW. I6 is more reliable. BMWs are built well, by the time something goes wrong with it you'll have spent just as much as the up to that point imo. Mitsubishi is probably one of the last brands I would buy honestly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
bmw. I6 is more reliable. Bmws are built well, by the time something goes wrong with it you'll have spent just as much as the up to that point imo. Mitsubishi is probably one of the last brands i would buy honestly.

Sent from my sph-l710 using autoguide.com free app
Another really valid point if any car is good taken care of.. It shouldn't go bad lol.... Mitsubishi Evo isn't bad thou my friend has a 2012 he got it 0miles ( actually 8miles lol) but it was his first turbo car so he *ucked up his clutch in 4 months -___-

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Ok, time for my insight :)

The 335i is not THAT bad of a car. There is a problem tho, it's HEAVY. Luxury comes at a cost. The N54 motor that is in those bimmers are decent motors, but it costs a TON of money to upgrade them (they are the same as the 135i bimmers that my buddy owns). Yes, they CAN be fast, and yes they are VERY reliable, but the scheduled maintenance and replacement parts are what is going to end up hurting in the long run. This would be what you would call your typical, what do you want more, performance or looks?

The Evo X has the 4b11 engine in it. They do NOT like anything around 450whp just like the SS/TC's mainly because they have the same style internals and blocks as the TC's.. My stock SS/tc pulled on a lightly modified GSR evo x. If it were me and I were you, I would get an evo ix (much stronger motors, and they have the MiVEC which helps a lot, and it has an engine that has proven itself worthy for over a decade). The Evo X handles like nothing else with the AYC built into it. Those cars can turn for days and turn harder the harder you push it. So again, do you want performance or looks? lol

In a reality tho, you're probably going to be about the same on insurance, cost of replacement parts, and some mods. Evo's are kind of expensive to mod (WAY more than the SS/TC is thats for sure), but they are a LOT easier to get more power out of than the BMW.

My vote, the Evo but I'm biased because I own an evo.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, time for my insight :)

The 335i is not THAT bad of a car. There is a problem tho, it's HEAVY. Luxury comes at a cost. The N54 motor that is in those bimmers are decent motors, but it costs a TON of money to upgrade them (they are the same as the 135i bimmers that my buddy owns). Yes, they CAN be fast, and yes they are VERY reliable, but the scheduled maintenance and replacement parts are what is going to end up hurting in the long run. This would be what you would call your typical, what do you want more, performance or looks?

The Evo X has the 4b11 engine in it. They do NOT like anything around 450whp just like the SS/TC's mainly because they have the same style internals and blocks as the TC's.. My stock SS/tc pulled on a lightly modified GSR evo x. If it were me and I were you, I would get an evo ix (much stronger motors, and they have the MiVEC which helps a lot, and it has an engine that has proven itself worthy for over a decade). The Evo X handles like nothing else with the AYC built into it. Those cars can turn for days and turn harder the harder you push it. So again, do you want performance or looks? lol

In a reality tho, you're probably going to be about the same on insurance, cost of replacement parts, and some mods. Evo's are kind of expensive to mod (WAY more than the SS/TC is thats for sure), but they are a LOT easier to get more power out of than the BMW.

My vote, the Evo but I'm biased because I own an evo.
I wont go any older than a 2006 as of this year... Nothing wrong with them I know there are some older models that can do a lot power wise and a few that still look really nice...

That out the way, I had a Cobalt SS/TC 2010 sedan Rally yellow in mind that some guy on .net is selling for about 15k ... But naw!! Ok going for either Evo or BMW now lol,.. Yes Evo can be pushed more with less money I think (power wise again) but at the same time the 335i has good horse power stock and the weight difference between the Evo and the 335i isn't that much I saw that already so the reason the 335i is up in my decision as off today is because is Looks AND power (stock) ... I could go for the Evo X MR fully equipped but we are looking at about 43k ;S USED!!!!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Insurance and repairs on BMW.

Dumb expensive.

Uglyness of EvoX and lameness of platform vs. older VIII and IX.

No thanks.

I don't really care for either choice.

Also; not to be a Debbie Downer...but how are you going from a 10K~ car MAX to something more than double the price...you getting a nice chunk of change for medical payouts or are you suing the person that hit you?

I for one know a $30k~ car is over $500 a month car payment...on a 60 month note, with super low interest.

That'd be a total turn off for me.

Just something else to consider, I'm not telling you how to budget, it's your wallet...just some insight from a banker standpoint. IMO, don't live beyond your means.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.