·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can a ss bumper fit on a ls

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
yes front will fit on any model rears are only coupe to coupe and sedan to sedan

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes I have installed both front and rear SS bumpers on my LS as well as the entire lip kit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
is the rear bumper any different?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yes, The SS/NA/Sport has a single grille in it and the SS/SC/TC has a double-grille and extension on it. Neither will fit the LS/LT fascia/bumper -- the grilles and extension that is...

·
Registered
450 Posts
oh i didn't know that

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
how hard of an install is the ss front, rear bumper and side skirts to a 08 ls model?

also is the ss front rear and side skirt the same as the ground effects that gm sells as an accessory?

·
Registered
750 Posts
For the rear lip you need the ss bumper. You can attach it to your pre-existing bumper, but it will not line up properly (overhangs into wheel wells, I know because I tried). The front and rear bumper are easy bolt up replacements. Only takes a couple hours to swap them and are held on with just a bunch of clips and a couple screws. The side skirts are the worst to install. You need around 15 clips per side to hold these on as well as need to cut to wheel wells or buy the replacements to make everything look correct. The installation requires 1/2" holes to be drilled into the body of the lower model cobalts to attach them correctly. You will need to measure several times and take your time when doing these; you do not want to mess this up. I took mine to a professional body shop buddy and he took 4 hours to install these; measuring over and over again. Even when he was ready to drill he drilled tiny holes first, lined it up again just to make sure they were in the correct location before finally drilling the large holes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much do u think this project is

·
Registered
750 Posts
If your talking cost it is pretty expensive unless you can get deals like I did. Here is what it cost me:

MY COST
Front Bumper & Lip - $500 insurance deductible (Also includes radiator & a/c condenser)
Rear Bumper, Rear Lip & Sides - $250
Paint & Installation - $700

NEW COST - Prices from GM Part Direct
Rear Bumper - $323
Rear Lip w/ grilles - $290
Front Bumper - $297
Front Lip - $202
Side Skirts - $231
Paint & Installation - $1165 (Estimate. I got 40% off from the guy that did mine)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well all i rele need is the front unless it looks good with the back done 2

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you do the front on the LS do the SS/NA w/o the lip if you do not plan on doing the rear. Otherwise the lip will hang down lower than the rest of the car and not look right.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I got lucky and happend to find a 2.4L SS/Sport front end for $200 shipped on ebay with minor damage(one scratch and some paint transfer) nothing a little touch up paint and polish couldn't fix. So keep your eyes open.

and Biniecki every time I see your sig I think you're drifting lol

·
Registered
450 Posts
i'm going the ss/na route. i have an 06 ls and i've got the ss/na front bumper on mine at the moment, got it from an insurance clain as well, and this summer will be adding the side skirts, but i also got really lucky. one of my good buddies, R.I.P. Bryan, gave me a set of side skirts from his ss/na. they are arrival blue now but all i have to do is paint them and mount them. as for the rear i'm not quite sure what i'm gonna do. i'm thinking about custom fabbing a diffuser. won't be too hard, just finding a way to mount it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you do the front on the LS do the SS/NA w/o the lip if you do not plan on doing the rear. Otherwise the lip will hang down lower than the rest of the car and not look right.
wats the difference between this one and another1

·
Registered
750 Posts
The ss/na bumper doesnt have the slits cut into it for the lower lip where the ss/sc and ss/tc bumpers do.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.