Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today, a friend and I hit up Wendy's during our break in school. On the way back (.5 mile trip) I over took him (hes in a 93 4 Cyl Mustang) and did a bit of horsing around. Basically, after the initial entrance, there is a a circle thats somewhat narrow, and I needed to go about 90 degrees to left around get to the road which leads into the parking lot. So I took this turn doing about 25-30mph (fairly tight turn and going a little faster than I wanted to), and my friend who was behind me claimed the inner tires looked like they were about to come off the ground.

Basically my question is, with enough steering input at high speeds, would it be possible to roll the car on asphalt? It has a pretty low CG, but it is a narrow vehicle, I would imagine the tires would break traction before allowing the car to roll.

Of course the solution for this is for me not to treat my campus as a race course, but hey what the hell I stick with the 30mph speed limit, might as well turn at the same speed :toung:..

·
Registered
19 Posts
yah you can roll any car, it matters speed and turn radius.
ive rolled a few cars my self, i would slow down, even with a low center of gravity, its a light car it will roll, exact spead i dont know but it shouldnt take much

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Here in SLC we have a pretty good road coarse track, so you can just go nuts and take corners as hard as your heart desires! I have spun out on that track going like 60 -70 and it just slid. However i do have SSC springs, DCsports strut bar, TTR rear sway bar and 225/40/18 tires.. So I'm sure that kept me planted.

But most small cars (like the cobalt) are meant to under steer before they roll or get crazy. With aftermarket sway bars, you will not understeer nearly as much. You tend to oversteer much more

FYI 4 noobz:
Understeer = Front tires losing traction & pushing through the corner.
Oversteer = Rear tires losing traction and the rear end swinging out (simmilar to drifting)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good advice, yeah I took that turn going a little faster than I wanted to, was a little occupied with my other junk flying around the car when I took that turn. Yeah I noticed this car loves to push in the turns, dang FWD.. Oh well still fun to drive in the corners, still testing its limits.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Here in SLC we have a pretty good road coarse track, so you can just go nuts and take corners as hard as your heart desires! I have spun out on that track going like 60 -70 and it just slid. However i do have SSC springs, DCsports strut bar, TTR rear sway bar and 225/40/18 tires.. So I'm sure that kept me planted.

But most small cars (like the cobalt) are meant to under steer before they roll or get crazy. With aftermarket sway bars, you will not understeer nearly as much. You tend to oversteer much more

FYI 4 noobz:
Understeer = Front tires losing traction & pushing through the corner.
Oversteer = Rear tires losing traction and the rear end swinging out (simmilar to drifting)
hey good info. thanks. another noob informed

·
Registered
63 Posts
this is the same problem i have but usually on onramps to the highway because as soon as i get in my car i think im a nascar driver so im saving up for swaybars and new springs but no matter how much you do there will always be that chance just not at 30mph

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Tell me about it, theres a really tight and short on ramp to the highway coming from my school, I usually end up doing 30-40 or so, always feeling the G force haha :laugh:.. Something tells me I should tone it down just a tiny bit lol, damn Cobalt LS with its soft suspension :blink:

·
Registered
130 Posts
DOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!~

Sorry, had to get that outta my system. Yeah, I've had my back end start to swing out before, probably wasn't going anymore than 30mph just ****in' around one day. We have messed up on ramp where I'm at, I decided to see how fast i could merge onto the freeway one day, there wasn't a soul on the road, so I floored it and I popped up onto the freeway at about 70, it was decent except there was a bit of a hump there, the car kinda got light and I felt all butterfly like in me belly. I was just prayin' that the car didn't get all squirrely on me. I lucked out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I live ojt in the woods on some twisty roads and usually on the way home from work ill wind her up a little!! But having a lowered ss/sc with an LSD and recaros does help with the control also;)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the parkway I drive on has a 55 limit, I do just under 65 on it and it is a very curvy parkway with sharp curves. Some of them have nice sized humps so I try to take it easy as I've had that happen when I feel like the car might get out of shape as the suspension compresses from the road imperfections.

On another note, I took that same turn from my original post at 25mph today, and all was well :laugh:.. Seems like the perfect speed for that turn, its pretty damn tight- almost like pulling into a wide driveway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You know you have too much body roll when you look at it from the outside and the car is at a 45 degree angle to the ground LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.