Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post what I posted on the G5 club site a few days ago... this was Wednesdays Post >>>>Okay, well, the 5 is back in the body shop... I'm hoping they can get the front fascia to match this time around. That and get all their friggen tape residue off the hood and door areas. I'm not taking it back this time unless I can see it in the sunlight and judge for myself instead of just taking it because they say its done and the insurance will take the rental back.

Now on to what is happening now...
So anyways, here it is, Saturday night, and still no G5 back from the shop. Thursday they called and said complete. So I go up there to get it, but before I take it back I look at it, all the f'in did was blend three inches of the bumper to the body!!! You can literally see the paint go from Competition yellow to that green tinted crap that was on there before. WTF?!?!?!? The body shop mgr said that is what I asked him to do, WHICH IS A Pile of HORSE SHIT! Anyways, not pleased I go and find the person in charge of the entire organization. I sit down with him, explain the story of how it was in a wreck, I got the GT bumper, and it doesn't match in color, and the fact that everyone else that looks at it, sees ONE coat of paint on the bumper. Also the fact that Jim, the body shop mgr said it would be Fixed, and me thinking Fixed is just that, not jerry rigged. This guy Bruce, said "I've had a bad day, and I know you have been coming here for a while now, but I don't want to make the wrong decision, I'll either kick you out and tell you never to come back, or I'll fix it! but today is a bad day, been dealing with stupid, I'll give you a call tomorrow at 10A..." Well Friday gets here and no call. So after the Mgr mtg at work, I drive to the dealer to check it out (its 11A) the car is on the lift, and bumper is off... Bruce drives up, and says "we're repainting the entire bumper" then drives off in his golf cart. WTF, where did he come from and how'd he know I was driving my dad's truck???

Needless to say, if it isn't fixed this time, I'm calling Channel 9's Eyewitness news complaint line to get a crew out there to find out why the shady and shoddy work is going on there and it WILL be fixed at their cost, not mine! The insurance paid for new paint on 2/3 of the car, and all I got was one coat of paint on a black plastic bumper...

Here is a pic of what it looked like before going back to the shop, as you can see, it doesn't match at all

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
i had so much trouble with my paintwork its not even funny. seems like the only people that care about teh quality of their work are the ones who get paid aLOT

·
Registered
911 Posts
We guarentee our work, if it doesn't match, we redo it...most of the time we redo it without the customer even knowing that it didn't match...thats why our shop is #1 in the Maritimes, not bad for only having a total of 10 people working there, and thats counting the manager,detailer and estimator

·
Registered
931 Posts
Maybe its just me but what doesnt match? The car looks fine man... But I get where you are coming from with the garage bs. Always something. Over the years I have switched from Garage to Garage until I found someone that I dont mnd working on my cars because they are cheap, upfront, and always on time with their work. No bs

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
u can tell that the color is different. but one thing i do know... even stock not one cobalt ive seen has the same look to the color on the front bumper and rear bumpers compared to the rest of the car. ive gotten parts painted and they look really close but i can still tell that theyre different and it shows in pictures alot.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
thats mostly the silver and gold cobalts that u see the big diff in the fender/front bumper match and rear bumper/1/4 panel match...the rest are pretty much bang on, his should match better than what it does, his rear matches perfectly

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^ and my rear bumper is not factory, it was a factory replacement that needed painted. Was installed after someone rear ended me three years ago... oh, for the guy that wanted the shops number...

Danny Len Buick GMC (Pontiac)
352-357-4181
Ask for Jim the Body shop MGR or Bruce Burr (he is in charge of the whole service side of the dealership (body shop, detail shop, and mechanics shop)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

The shop wouldn't answer my calls so I drive up there to take a look. The car was sitting in the same spot as last Friday... So I drive around, making sure no boss type people seen it was me, and walk in to talk to Bruce... He says, "they worked on it all weekend, and they are working on it now, it'll be done by tonight and you can get this behind you" WTF?! they were not working on it, I don't know what is going on, all I know is that if I ever need body work again, I'm never taking it back to a "GM Certified Body Shop" and I'll take it to a privately own shop that has pride in what they do...

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
wow dude. that sucks! I'd be so pissed.

I have to sadly admit something to you being that it relates to this topic.

you may or may not know that I work at a GM dealer. well, where I work there are about 5 stores under the same ownership and same name. One of those places is the GM body shop all by itself. it has it's own management and everything. not related to the store that I work at other than being under the same owner. Well this so called "GM body shop" is trash. they do crap work and we all know it. They are located about 20 miles from where my place of work is. We try to send our body work to the body shop next door to us instead because we know that the GM body shop under the same owner will do a crappy job. It's sad.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey all, the car is back and it matches... almost perfectly, amazing what four or five coats of color do to a black bumper. Why it couldn't have been done like that in the first place is beyond me. Anyways, I plan on getting it washed tomorrow (lovebugs are back and they are thick... don't want them ruining the new paint) Would Turtle Wax Ice be bad for fresh paint? I know the paste stuff is, but the ice stuff is synthetic and is like an oil almost. I want the bugs not to stick on the fresh paint.

Anyways, I'll get updated pics soon as I get her washed and waxed

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
That experience is exactly why GM was in the toilet. When I bought my Cobalt the local dealer had some with some factory spoilers and tint. When I asked why those accesories cost so much I was told that they sent the cars 50 miles away to get the work done. When asked why their body shop did not put the factory spoilers ont eh cars I got "Thats who we have the contract with", WOW they dont even trust their own shop to put a spoiler on a car, needless to say we bought the car in the town 50 miles away, and saved $1100.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.