Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to take the timing belt cover off without removing the engine? I Just put it back in and got everything back together, but my timing chain slipped and when I took the valve cover off, I forgot to put the guard on. So I went to put it on, and one of the bolts fell Waaaaay down into the mess of chains and gears. I really, really, really, really don't want to have to take the engine out, Again, for one stupid bolt. But I've found it impossible to find with magnetic snake grabbers and every tool imaginable.
With just looking at it, I think the belt tensioner would need to be removed, but Im not sure if there is room between the engine and the wall to remove that bolt. Sooooo, does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You can take off the timing cover and see if you can retrieve it through there. Also not really sure about about this, but maybe pull the oil pan...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you mean if fell into the timing cover? Sound like you’ll need to either take that off, and also maybe the oil pan. And yes of course the timing cover comes off without the engine out of the car. It’s just a pain in the arse. The other chain in there is the balance shaft chain. Did you replace both chains along with the guides and tensioners? I have only replaced the timing set with the engine in the car. The only GMs I know of with a belt were the Saab V6.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Cody he was talking about the accessory drive belt. And yes the belt would have to come off to take off the front cover. I would also recommend a new gasket if it come to taking off the front cover. I would definitely try the oil pan first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts